Unable to access specific 'net site "satelliteguys.us"
Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

HI all

I'm having a strange problem that may be related to Verizon.  I would like to eliminate the Provider as the source of this issue and I'm not sure how to do this with my FIOS service.

My Information:

- Windows 7 x64   2 PC's

- IE10 on one PC and IE11 on the other PC.  Both IE's are non-enhanced mode (32 bit).

- FIOS 'net service 75/35

I've been unable to access this site since 07/04:

satelliteguys.us

According to a couple of 'net test sites, satelliteuys.us is up and running ok.

Symptom:  When trying to access the site, the browser "hourglasses" for a minute or so and then displays the usual page "Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to www.satelliteguys.us

All of my other bookmark sites, as well as some random sites that I accessed from a Google search page, are working ok.

Some things that i've tried:

- I disabled my IE "add blocker" add-on "Privacychoice.org" and tried again.

- Tried IE with "Activex" enabled and disabled.

- Tried IE with Compatibility Mode enabled and disabled.

- Cleared cookies in IE11 on one of my PC's.

- I downloaded Firefox latest version and am also unable to acces the same 'net site. I get this error after hourglassing for about 30-45 seconds:

"The connection has timed out.  The server at www.satelliteguys.us is taking too long to respond."

Other things that I've tried:

- Restarting my PC's

- Temporarily disabled my AV product and my anti-malware product to eliminate possible firewall setting issues or a blacklist issue.

- I called a friend that's with another provider.  He's running Win 7x64 with Firefox.  He was able to access the site.

I have couple of questions:

- Is there a way to check a "blacklist" or a possible list that Verizon may have available that's possibly blocking this specific site?

- Could another Verizon FIOS customer try to access this site and let me know if they're able to access the home page of the site?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to access specific 'net site "satelliteguys.us"
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

No problem accessing that site here with Firefox or IE 11.

You might try getting a different WAN IP address for your router, just in case sateliteguys is blocking your specific IP.

You can drill through router settings to release the WAN IP and hope it will get a next one in a few minutes, but the surest way is to power down the router overnight and the power it back up in the morning.

I suggest you try that and see if it fixes the problem. 

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

No problem accessing that site here with Firefox or IE 11.

You might try getting a different WAN IP address for your router, just in case sateliteguys is blocking your specific IP.

You can drill through router settings to release the WAN IP and hope it will get a next one in a few minutes, but the surest way is to power down the router overnight and the power it back up in the morning.

I suggest you try that and see if it fixes the problem. 

Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

↑ Thanks Smiley Happy  It worked.  I tried a Router reset (power down for about a minute or 2) just to see what happened.  That didn't work so I tried leaving it powered down for 2 hours.

That worked great.

Routers and IP's are one area where I don't know much about things.  When I look up my IP on the 'net, I always thought it was the same address number.

Do Routers use some kind of virtual IP addresses that communicates with 'net sites?

When a Router is powered down for a period of time, does it generate a new IP address each time that occurs after power-up?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

A router can be assigned a static or a dynamic IP addresss.  In the case of FiOS residential service, Verizon uses a DNS server to assign/lease each router a dynamic IP.

The default is for each dynamic IP lease to expire after 120 minutes.  If the router remains powered and connected, that IP lease can be transparently renewed every 2 hours and it's possible you might have the same IP for a long time.  Months or longer.

However, if you disconnect your router, as you did, and the IP  address lease it was assigned has expired when you reconnect, you will almost always be assigned a new IP address from the pool Verizon owns.

In the future, should you want to change your IP address again for some reason, there are steps you can take to release the current IP manually, thus making it likely you'll be able to get a new address in just a few minutes.  You can find those steps in other threads on the forum, or ask in a new thread and someone will be able to spell the steps out for you.

Glad your back in business for now and I hope you won't have the need to be changing WAN IP's again soon.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

↑ Thanks again Smiley Happy  I'll start a thread.  I searched for the topic but I need more help with this topic.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am a regular user of satelliteguys.us.  I used to be more active until I moved from DISH to FIOS.  I have had no trouble.

0 Likes