Battery back-up usage during a power outage?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Battery back-up usage during a power outage?

Message 21 of 29
(5,259 Views)

My power has been restored, but my FIOS has not.  I tried unplugging the ONT, disconnecting the battery, reconnecting & plugging back in.  No success and no success getting any help from Verizon!

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 22 of 29
(5,226 Views)

There are times when the power comes back and certain jacks are not working.  So grab like a cell phone charger and plug it into the outlet where your BBU is.  Make sure it works.  If it does, try the ONT Reboot again and follow these instructions.

How do I reboot the ONT?

If it doesn't work, then you might need a technician. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 23 of 29
(5,179 Views)

After a short period of time 2-3 hrs. My BBU alarm beeped. When I pushed the alarm silencer it didn't work. Any idea why? 

Also, checked the replace battery light & it wasn't on. I posted on this sight about the alarm silencer but really didn't get an answer. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know to push a button to stop an alarm. Should I replace the battery? It's about 3yrs old.

thanks

Highlighted
Silver Contributor I
Silver Contributor I

Message 24 of 29
(5,174 Views)

You're probably reaching the end of its useful life so a replacement might not be a bad idea.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II

Message 25 of 29
(5,166 Views)

I have taken Jason's advice.  I have a 100' power cable and I have run it from my house to my Dodge Grand Caravan SE.  It has multiple 12vdc receptacles and its own 150watt inverter.  I am in my van outside now using the auto's power for my notebook on WiFi and its powering my ONT Power Supply and ActionTec Router.

With my Dodge I can run all on the car's battery and/or off the alternator.  Thus I am not using up my Marine battery which I don't have a way to recharge yet (I could use some Jumper Cables and then I could hook up the Marine Battery to the car and change it via the alternator...  maybe).

One think I have found interesting.  Using a Compact Flouescent (CF) on the Inverter on the Marine Battery works.  A 13watt CF gives off a considerable amount of light at a low power consumption.  However if I add another lamp with a 13w CF they both fail.  It's not based on power load so it must be a function of the AC generated by the Inverter.  Perhaps a non pure sine wave or sqaure wave and the two bulbs interact with the AC frequency and/or waveform.  Something to research and its OT "here" but ...

I will give kudos to Verizon.  Cable Internet is out.  Cellular Internet is mostly out with a scant few operable.  FiOS is operating and I estimate only 90watts is needed for the ONT, Router and telephone consumption. 

The Lithium Software sux !!
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 26 of 29
(4,996 Views)

I used my motorcyle battery as a backup battery after the verizon battery died and powered my router w/ UPS power (only 12 mins of power) only to recieve a busy signal on my land lines.

Verizon needs to ugpgrade for emergency situations. We were stranded in our homes after huricane Sandy on Staten Island for two and half days.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 27 of 29
(4,884 Views)

This whole discussion is ridiculous. The entire concept of an 8 hour battery backup should be discared in favor of the old fashioned POTS. I lost power for 5 days following Sandy after 8 hours. I am sure that Verizon will claim that they fulfilled the terms of the contract, but the fact that my family and I were put in danger as a result of this "enhanced" service will not be addressed. I did not have cell serivce for this period, and even now, on the Tuesday following Sandy, it is till errratic (it is not Verizon, but that is not my point - I have to be able to rely on have some sort of service no matter what the reason). My elderly neighbor, who does not have IOS, had service during the entire outage period - she has an old fashioned landline connection.

Verizon should give it's users the option to unbundle the phone service from the FIOS plan, and to reinstall the old copper line service. I would not mind paying a reasonable charge for this, and am even willing to pay more on my monthly bill if that is what is needed to have non power related service on my phone.

Verizon - are you listening? The suggestions in this thread are fine, but most people are not tech savvy enough to follow them, nor should that be required for uninterupted telephone service during an extended power outage period.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II

Message 28 of 29
(4,879 Views)

Obviously, unlike twisted pair copper, fiber-optic can't supply power.  You can EASILY augment the 12vdv ONT power supply, directly by a 12vdc auto or marine battery or indirectly as I have shown by using an inverter.  I have no problem with the 12vdc 7ah battery in the ONT power supply.  Just disconnect the battery when you don't use the phone.  It is THAT SIMPLE.  There is no reason you need to run the ONT for 8 hrs straight.  Connect the battery, wait three minutes, use the phone and disconnect.

The one thing I have noticed in this storm is that it separates to men from the boys.  The ones who have to be served and the ones that can take care of themsleves.

PEOPLE - Stop blaming others, be proactive and take matters in your hands.

Lesson learned, low tech works when infrastructure fails.  Learn the basics and HELP YOURSELF.

I'm affected by this storm.  I'm between a rock and hard place.  The river and the ocean yet I am not complaining.  I am thanking G-d I have what I have and have not lost what my neighbours have lost.  I have thanked my city, the National Guard, the Alabama, and other crews who will be here on the Jersey Shore through Thanksgiving.

This is NOT the time fore whiners.  This is the time to show you have what it takes to be civilized and neighbourly.  Stand up and make your own environmernt better for yourself.  Hell, I had a MRE yesterday for lunch.

I thank the Federal, State, and local gov'ts for what I have.  I do NOT blame them for what I don't have.

THANK YOU !

PS:  I was on the beach at high tide for Stripers.  Not only did it lift my spirits but I found that people who saw me with my 12' rod, tackle bag and waders honkedc and cheered me on and even the National Guard troops (from Hacketsstown, thanks guys) were smiliing and they said I m ade their day by seeing me as i was.

Smile and the world smiles with you.  It's contagious.

Frown and you turn the whole world upsidedown.    It's contagious.

PSS:  This ANG guys weerre using OUR SINCGARS Radios !   Oooooorah !

The Lithium Software sux !!
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 29 of 29
(4,825 Views)

Although I didn't know this thread, just like an earlier post, I ended up using a marine battery and an inverter as shown on the following page:

http://nobo.komagata.net/pub/Komagata12-Power/Komagata12-Power.html

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.