quick menu

FIOS Internet slow in Rhode Island after Sandy!

FIOS Internet slow in Rhode Island after Sandy!

Contributor mikemayors
Contributor
Message 1 of 12
(14,070 Views)

I am getting DL speeds of LESS than 50kbps after tropical storm Sandy hit RI.  Are there known outages or connectivity issues?  If so any ETA on when this will be fixed?  Phone support has a LONG hold so hopefully Verizon is aware.  Can a rep please comment?  Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Contributor AmazingAmie
Contributor
Message 2 of 12
(14,037 Views)

Yeah im in Pawtucket, and im having the same problems. Online gaming is pretty much impossible at this rate.

The more perplexing thing, is that after doing some speed tests... all the results return my Upload speed at about 4mbps, which is normal.. but my DL is as low as .5 mbps ...  Does this even make sense?

Contributor spaceywilly
Contributor
Message 3 of 12
(14,033 Views)

Same here. Speed has been between .5-1.5mbps on speedtest.net. All websites load incredibly slow. :-(

Contributor AmazingAmie
Contributor
Message 4 of 12
(14,019 Views)

I'm glad im not the only one, but i'm still perplexed at why my UL speed is higher than my DL. Are they intentionally doing this? Are they rerouting traffic to other loactions to even split what nodes they do have up to others who may be having outages? does any of this sound plausible?

Copper Contributor shadezero
Copper Contributor
Message 5 of 12
(14,006 Views)

Same here in NYC (Queens) I have 50 / 25 Am getting 10/10 I think it's because of the outage in Manhattan is affecting the networks in other states also a friend in queens village have 17/35 now before he had 70/35 

Contributor mellis
Contributor
Message 6 of 12
(13,959 Views)

Here in Mass I have 35/35 and always pull down close or over that but all day I am getting 20/2.5 

Contributor echoreply
Contributor
Message 7 of 12
(13,792 Views)

After finally getting power back I immediately noticed there were both latency and capacity issues. Round trip ping times to well known DNS servers (e.g. 4.2.2.2 @ ATT) were 4 times the norm. 

Looking at the internet health report you can see that latency from Verizon's network is significantly higher than that of any other carrier. No use in contacting support, although there were helpful in trying to rule out the "normal" issues which i needed no help in ruling out. 

http://www.internetpulse.net/

Right now by leveraging a VPN connection to my place of employment that is in MA (I'm in RI) i'm seeing significantly lower ping times and much higher download/upload speeds. I'm sure in the not too distant future Verizon will resolve these issues that i'm sure their backbone team is already very well aware of, but don't expect much out of support in this case.  Smiley Happy

Contributor nepatsfan1
Contributor
Message 8 of 12
(13,686 Views)

I am having all sorts of issues with speed too in Woonsocket. Starts great in the morning with normal speeds and ping times at 22ms but soon after 2:30pm ping times go up to over a 100ms and my speed test can be anywhere from 1mb to 38mb down and form 2mb to 20mb down. Tech support sent out a tech to replace my ONT and router (which thans to the on site techs they gave me a new n-router instaed of the POS g-router) and it happened again. If it is related to Sandy I understand but my speeds have pretty much stunk since this whole Quantum service came out. I might just switch back to my old provider if this is not resolved because if I can;t work form home and make money to pay them. Then the whole Fios service is useless to me.

Contributor mellis
Contributor
Message 9 of 12
(13,672 Views)

Having had a few days to look into this I am having the same problems, morning and early afternoon  average speeds for my 35/35 plan, come late afternoon, evening abysmal slowdowns, barely able to watch youtube videos and other commonplace internet acts........ I concur if this is tied to the recent storm, no problem but I have a suspicion it isn't since service is fine in the day, I did a search and it seems there are plenty of folks out there that have experienced the afternoon, evening slowdown with Verizon since before the storm......

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27592270-Northeast-Fios-Upload-speed-drops-after-7pm

Contributor egrv314
Contributor
Message 10 of 12
(13,580 Views)

I'm in North Providence. After Sandy hit, my download speed went from the normal 50 Mbps to 28 Mbps and my upload went from 25 Mbps to 9.51 Mpbs. I have not found it to be dependent on the time of day. I have two macs, one new and another a year old, they both are experiencing the same speed so it probably isn't a software problem. In fact, I take my laptop to work and it has not slowed down using my work internet connection. I agree with the first post, can a representative please comment on this? Thank you.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

My Fios App
Fios TV App
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios