Switch Account

outage during Sandy....Is this a Network issue or a local issue?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 1 of 2
(1,947 Views)

Hi experts,

I am in an area affected by storm Sandy.  Lot of trees down, no power.  I have a backup generator that powers my whole house.  To my pleasant surprise, after I started the generator on Tuesday morning, Fios was up and running.  Internet and TV worked as usual.  This morning (Wednesday), while we were watching the news picture froze and internet stopped working.

I restarted all equipment related to Fios, including DVR, router and ONT....but nothing...no internet, no tv since this morning

I tried to open the ONT and see what the status lights were showing and here are the results:

POWER = Green

BATTERY= Green

FAIL= Flashing

VIDEO = Red

all other lights = OFF

Is this a network issue or it is a local issue with my equipment?  I assume that this may be a network issue due the storm, although it is kind of disappointing because it started today when the storm has gone....my assumption is that they may have suspended services to repair network elsewhere.

Any opinion form experts is appreciated.....just curious whether I have to convinced Verizon to send somebody.  Or maybe I need to be just patient.  Thanks

Andre

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: outage during Sandy....Is this a Network issue or a local issue?

Message 2 of 2
(1,734 Views)

If the fail light is flashing, it's usually a network related problem, less than a problem with the ONT failing. If you have any neighbors with FiOS, see if their ONTs show the same status (if they are still powered). It may be a local problem in the case that perhaps your fiber cable was damaged after the storm, as you mentioned lots of falling trees, or Verizon could be having equipment trouble (lack of power at the CO, for example). Either way, file a ticket with Verizon to let them know your service is down. You can always call them to close the ticket if it restores itself and they don't resolve it.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.