Re: How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed
tns
Master - Level 2

Maybe yes maybe no.  THe newer routers support wireless-n on the 2.4 but not 5 mhz frequency.  If you don't have wireless-n on your devices its unlikely.  If you do have wireless-n you MIGHT be able to see higher speeds.

0 Likes
BOARDWLK17

The commercials on tv show everyone using there wireless tablets laptops videogame consoles . my wired speed is 58/25 my wireless speed is like 12/ nothing. the commercial shows everyone on there wireless units and it says your whole family will be able to enjoy the higher speeds? HOW CAN I SPEED UP MY WIRELESS UNITS? CAN I install more than 1 wireless router ? 

0 Likes
sbpwjm

I am in a similar situation as those complaining about wired performance vs. wireless performance.  I have 50/20 plan and while the wired iMac (only wired device in house) typically sees download speeds ~mid 40s, the wireless connection is more often than not quite poor.  For example, last night I saw 6/3 and 2 nights ago it was 8/8.

I know there are differences between wired and wireless this really bad and it actually went down since I upgraded to 50/20.

I've had at least 3 tickets open with support and last time they sent me a new router - made no difference.  I have run their optimizers, changed Wifi channels, encryption settings...   

Could it be related to the specific device(s) connecting wirelessly?  Sure... but I get similar speeds on iPad, iPhones (which all have wifi 802.11 b/g/n) and two (2) different laptops (one Dell / one HP) that use the Intel® WiFi Link 5000 802.11a/b/g/n wireless .

Surely one of these devices could bust into double digits!

I don't use all the devices at the same time (especially when testing), I have even made sure - on occassion - to have nothing else powered on on the network (which includes the PS3 and our WiFi connected Blu-ray player)... it makes no difference.

I don't have the "red" router, when they sent me a new router it was the same router I've had since installation in 2008.

I see all these quantum commercials and laugh...

Happy to hear that some people seem to get good speeds...

Do we really have to go back to being wired in this wireless age?

Thanks,
Scott

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sbpwjm wrote:

I am in a similar situation as those complaining about wired performance vs. wireless performance.  I have 50/20 plan and while the wired iMac (only wired device in house) typically sees download speeds ~mid 40s, the wireless connection is more often than not quite poor.  For example, last night I saw 6/3 and 2 nights ago it was 8/8.

I know there are differences between wired and wireless this really bad and it actually went down since I upgraded to 50/20.

I've had at least 3 tickets open with support and last time they sent me a new router - made no difference.  I have run their optimizers, changed Wifi channels, encryption settings...   

Could it be related to the specific device(s) connecting wirelessly?  Sure... but I get similar speeds on iPad, iPhones (which all have wifi 802.11 b/g/n) and two (2) different laptops (one Dell / one HP) that use the Intel® WiFi Link 5000 802.11a/b/g/n wireless .

Surely one of these devices could bust into double digits!

I don't use all the devices at the same time (especially when testing), I have even made sure - on occassion - to have nothing else powered on on the network (which includes the PS3 and our WiFi connected Blu-ray player)... it makes no difference.

I don't have the "red" router, when they sent me a new router it was the same router I've had since installation in 2008.

I see all these quantum commercials and laugh...

Happy to hear that some people seem to get good speeds...

Do we really have to go back to being wired in this wireless age?

Thanks,
Scott

With the blunt side of me, I'd say just take a look at the connection coming in and then decide what may or may not be my answer to the wireless vs. wired. If folks wanted wireless, why not get it from the get go? Verizon offers that too, but at a big cost (not just monetary).

What revision router (ActionTec) do you have? If it's a Westell you won't be getting WIreless N speeds out of it. If it's an ActionTec Rev. F or higher make sure you are using WPA2 encryption and only that type of encryption. You'll be limited to 54Mbps (Wireless G) rates if you're using anything less with the exception of No security.

If Verizon won't send you one, as your current router will be fine for anything that isn't 150Mbps or higher you can simply get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156232

It's not dual band, it's not the newest thing out there, but many folks have gotten it and it works well. You can find some better APs around too that will do Dual Band, and ones you can mount in a nice location in your home because they look like smoke detectors and can get power delivered over the Ethernet cable.

0 Likes
jessica45qt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turn the wireless off on the Verizon supplied router and if you can the feature where it assigns Dynamic ips to each wired port.Use Static Ip to port 1 and hook up a Non Verizon router.If you want fast wireleess go ahead and upgrade to Wireless AC Band.

Linksys model >>> http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-EA6500-App-Enabled-AC-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router-wit...

Now they don't have a wireless adaptor to use with it but most computers have a ethernet port so you can use this in its place to use the wireless without running long cables>>> http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/linksys-WUMC710-wireless-media-connector-wifi-5ghz-bridge_stcVVprod...

Now if your not fans of linksys go for these netgear models>> http://netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/R6300.aspx#

Fastest Negear model out and the 2nd best is >> http://netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/R6200.aspx#

Now netgear does have have a usb adaptor for the AC network products.But its more for the 2nd best as thats what it maxes out to in wireless speed >> http://netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/ultimate-wireless-adapters/A6200.aspx#

I would telll you all to use Linksys bridge they have as you will get better speeds if you decide to go with Netgears faster model of the AC band

Linksys has a deal where you get the router and the bridge to use together >> http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-EA6500-WUMC710-Wireless-AC-Bundle_stcVVproductId150...

$349.98 for both of them and thats what i recomend and curenttly using and it works great.

I was using this for a long time which is Verizon faster N router >

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=214 

Only went 130mbps on the wireless side.

Which is the one labeled I Model

Don't know why they modfied it or what but this model get 300 mbps which is more nicer >> http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=41

Also If you interested in attaching Network storage and Network Speed Balancing Equipment to control the Load of the network i can give you some pointers as Verizons Fios Network is a little different then lets says comcast or cox or directway or many others.

Hope This can help many of you and upgrade you all for the future.

0 Likes
jessica45qt
Enthusiast - Level 2

75 Mbps/35 Mbps is my speed package but I own a Rev I router\modem combo which is not the original and had to but outside as verizon refused to let me have the Rev I router.I had a hassle just getting on the Older Wirless N model they have but i was finally able to get it and i asked if they wanted me to send the wireless g router back and they said no keep it because there outdated and i know alot of people are still on G standard so go after them and upgrade to the N standard and if you can get your hands on the newer N model which is Rev I then do it.Someone told me there is one newer then Rev I but haven't seen it myself as of yet.

Like i said in my previous post shut the wireless off on the verizon one and set it to static ip instead of dynamic ip for for 4 ports going out so then you can limit it to one or two ports as well .use port 1 to hook your router you have from the outside and i gave my recomendation in my previous post.

0 Likes
mrdoughten

just called and spoke with a rep and he said "based on his experience if I am getting at least half the speed wirelessly v. wired then i am at optimal speeds. he said verizon has many routers and he hasn't found any that do much better than 50% wired speeds." 

Speakeasy Speed Test: 21.82DOWN/18.01UP (wireless)

40.5DOWN/35UP (wired)

Verizon Speed Test: 18.682DOWN/ 8.083 UP (Wirelss)

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@mrdoughten wrote:

just called and spoke with a rep and he said "based on his experience if I am getting at least half the speed wirelessly v. wired then i am at optimal speeds. he said verizon has many routers and he hasn't found any that do much better than 50% wired speeds." 

Speakeasy Speed Test: 21.82DOWN/18.01UP (wireless)

40.5DOWN/35UP (wired)

Verizon Speed Test: 18.682DOWN/ 8.083 UP (Wirelss)

I think you are running wireless G. Wireless N would do better than 18.682DOWN/ 8.083 UP..

Both the dive being tested and the router would both need to support wireless N.

From the looks of things, you are still at 35/35, and could benifit from wireless N if the devices supported it.

0 Likes
Thalji_H

I just got off the phone and basically they could not help me. They are going to send me a new router but I doubt it will help much. 

I am thinking of getting the Linksys router even though it is more expense as Jessica45qt suggested. Is it easy to install? 

Linksys has a deal where you get the router and the bridge to use together >> http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-EA6500-WUMC710-Wireless-AC-Bundle_stcVVproductId150...

0 Likes
Nu2FiOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZ really needs to address the wireless speed issue. I understand it’s difficult to guarantee wireless speed b/c of the many variables. But in my experience and others, it is pretty clear that the VZ supplied Actiontec modem-router-AP has a problem.

I have done a litmus test:

• Placing the Actiontec right next to my computer-Wi-Fi N adapter with no obstruction in between.
  • I have no cordless phone or other wireless devices except computers and cell phones.
  • All wireless devices except the testing computer are turned off during the test.
  • I have run the VZ FiOS Optimizer on the testing computer.
  • Double checked the Wi-Fi N adapter’s settings to be optimized and with the latest firmware and driver.
  • Scan the neighborhood and use the least crowed channel – channel 1. There is only one other network using channel 1 and it’s far away.
  • Make sure the Actiontec Rev. I is set to N mode only and WPA2-AES only.
  • “Transmit Power” is set to 100% in the Actiontec by default.
  • Test speed throughout different times of the day.
  • Repeat this test using the other computers one by one.

I pay for the 50/25 service. While my wired speed is consistently 60/40, I could never get the wireless speed to be faster than half of the provisioned 50/25 – it is consistently around 25/15. After researching on the web for a soultion, I disable the wireless radio in the Actiontec and hook up an Asus RT-N10+ router to the Actiontec so to setup the Asus as the AP. Instantaneously; I get 60/40 wirelessly. Additionally, the computer in my home office upstairs used to get only about 15/10, now it’s getting 40/20. Turning off the Asus and re-enabling the Actiontec radio again and, just like that, the wireless speed drops back down to only about 25/15. Repeat this test many times with the same result.

Since all other factors remain unchanged during the tests, the only variable is the AP. I can confidently say that there’s something wrong with the VZ supplied Actiontec MI424WR (mine is Rev. I) based on this test. Besides, during my research on the web, there are many users having the same problem and the only solution I and other users have found so far is by not using the Actiontec as the AP.