Re: How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed
DaveMasters
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll never forget the technician when he installed my FiOS and while we were checking the Internet speed...I was only getting a fraction of the 35/35 I was supposed to get and he told me, "Oh, that's only for wired computers..."

So, why the heck didn't Verizon tell me that? And to add insult to injury, they gave me a crappy 811.G (still have it) router. I simply piggy-backed an 811.N I had and got the speeds closer to the agreed speed.

I had thought about upping to 150/75, but what lurks with that??? One can only guess.

Finally, will someone at Verizon fix your website....Please? With Safari it is a basket case. The only time and the only reason I have FireFox is for the infrequent occasions I go to the Verizon website...

Dave In Plano, TX

toffey
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently upgraded to 50/25 from 25/25. Terrible results when wireless(about half); better than 50/25 when wired. I read somewhere in this forum that setting the router's security to WPA-2/AES might help. So, that's what I did. I set my PC's to the new security setting and lo and behold my connections improved to better than 42/35. Not as good as wired but a heck of a lot better. I suggest trying this before spending money for a new router. 

inachu
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got the third tier service a couple of months ago or more and it is slower than the 2nd tier.

Kinda angry about the whole ordeal.

0 Likes
Ginseng1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agree with much that has been said here. I upgraded to 74 mbs and the service has been stellar...when it is up and running at rated speeds. Unfortunately, it is much more inconsistent with a far wider range of speeds from abysmal to specification and everything in between. It has not been an overall positive experience.

0 Likes
Re: How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed AND improve wireless performance
netslacker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got my 75/35 installed today and on wireless I was seeing 6/12 (6mbps down/12up).  At first I thought Verizon was crap so I set out to discover the true source of my measley speeds.

Turns out that it is true, wireless speed will vary GREATLY from the wired speed (I was skeptical at first).  Once I connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable my speed was 82/39mbps.  So verizon isn't crap, but perhaps the router is.  After some MINOR adjustments, my wireless speed is now 60/39 one wireless.  Here's what I did:

1. Log into router and change the connection settings from compatibility (b/g/n) to ONLY n devices.  This is under security.  Allowing B or G devices will slow the wireless to B or G speeds.  After this change my wireless speed registered 25/30mbps (a 350% increase) for a single setting.  Still not satisified...

2. My router is located in a very "noisy" location where interference is a major factor. It's near a lot of electronics including a TV and various other items.  Moving the router to a new location away from interference brought instant improvement (81/39) but that wasn't an option for me long term. So, I adjusted the antennas.  Yup, that's it.  After I adjusted the antennas I jumped to 60/39.  You may have to play with this a bit to get the right angles, but adjusting the antenna and then running the speed test again (wash and repeat) until I hit the max I thought I could only took me like 5 mins. 

Another option could be a better wireless router. And yes, there's definitely better out there. However, I've found that spending a few extra minutes with the Verizon router helped dramatically to improve the throughput while saving the expense of a new router. Also, one could try a different wireless channel. There's 11 of them so trying each one then repeating the speed test will tell you which one has the least interference on it (you're trying to isolate your wireless from your neighbors).

At any rate, hopefully this information is useful to others. 

wwswift
Enthusiast - Level 2

There sure as hell don't mention any of that in the commercials advertising Quantum.  They even show people running around with wireless devices.  

OldMalden
Of course, some of us still only have b/g since Verizon steadfastly refuses to update the router to something with more up-to-date interfaces like GbE and 802.11n even though my contracted speed is 35/35 😞 OldMalden
0 Likes
GeorgeHitz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded from 20/5 to 50/25 and like many reporting here found the 50/25 to be lacking from wireless units.  My only wired unit, a laptop, is wired only when I need to run tests.  My wired speeds were roughly 60/30, my wireless speeds were roughly 25/25 on some units - other units were under 20/20.

A call to support indicated that this was all the wireless speed I could expect.  They of course blamed nearby cordless phones, competing wifi signals and other apparatus.

To make a long story short, I stumbled upon this - http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

I bought a Netgear WNDR3700 and followed the instructions in 12506 and off I went.  All wireless devices are in the 50/30 area now.

Adding this router to the MI424 enabled me to get the wireless speeds I pay for and maintain all the functions that 424 provides such a MOCA and so forth.

It is very disappointing that Verizon advertises 50/25 showing in their advertising smart phones, tablets and other wireless gear when there is no way you can get those speeds without a different router.

boom4u
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon manages thousands of miles of fiber network, servers, nodes, head ends, on top of all that equipment which costs millions of dollars many times over, you want them to manage your network, and your equipment ? What is your responsibility ? Do you want them to hit the enter button for you too when you enter a website address ?

I have a 160/65 package and I get more than that 24 hours a day, their network works fine... if not better than what it should. I usually average 180/ 80 Mbps. 

When you use a radio signal like a wireless router, which is all it is, it is a radio signal, they cannot guarantee you will recieve a signal with the speeds you should be getting, is verizon responsible for radio signals that go to YOUR equipment ? A good analogy would be a radio station, the radio station doesnt guarantee you will recieve their signal.... And it is no different with a wireless radio signal, they broadcast it.. It is upto your equipment to recieve it... And NOT ALWAYS their fault. Sorry for sounding rude, but people always blame the company for their internet, never do I hear someone blame their quipment for their problem, self accountability doesn't exist anymore, or people do not realize they are somewhat responsible for certain functions. If your picture was fuzzy on your tv, and your tv was not function correctly, would you blame Verizon ? No, same applies here.

micahadair1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have to say that I am very disappointed with Verizon. Connection is a joke. I had comcast on the other side of the house streamed with no problem to tv, used ipad, phone etc all with no problem. last night my first with Verizon I used Mac computer to watch Netflix and it stopped and strated throughout. Wireless means wireless and should be close to wired....that is the point. I think it's Verizon not the router, or what's connected. You pay for high speed and get dial-up. Seriously thinkingof switching to earthlink dial-up...it's quicker! and cheaper!