Re: How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed
NickZQ
Enthusiast - Level 3

@sportz wrote:

I got 50mbps service because I have multiple devices i.e laptop, phones etc thinking that it would significantly improve my internet speed, however my speeds have gone worst than what  I used to with 15/5 mbps. I just performed a speed test and my download speed is 4.30mbps and my upload speed is 0.57mbps! I have used in home agent and optimizer tool to no avail. This is just unacceptable. I have contacted verizon via chat multiple times, but they keep telling me to restart the router. The speed will improve a just a bit but still insted of 4.30mbps, I will get about 8mbps download speed. Also after I restart my router, I have to talk to new chat agent  because that conversation becomes no longer active and I have to repeat my story all over again. They never ever say that we will replace the router for you or come check it. I don't know if they are doing this on purpose to get us to buy this new 3X optimizing router, but these speeds are really unacceptable and I hope somebody does something to fix it. It would be great to have email contact as calling via phone takes forever and I can't wait forever.

I had the same problem and fixed it by buying the newest router,

buy the MI424W Rev. I router at https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

Once you have the router, you need to have the correct settings for optimal speed:

login to your new router by entering  - 192.168.1.1  -  in your browser

1) set your wireless mode to Performance Mode(802.11n)

2) use WPA2 AES instead of WEP

Your wireless speed will dramatically increased.

Drew024
Enthusiast - Level 2

Connection primer / basics on connection.

There are a number of different technologies involved in delivering Verizon Internet Service to a Home.  The first technology is the Fiber Optic cable that is connected to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). Because of the nature of this type of connection this is a 99.99% chance that the Internet speed that you have ordered is being delivered to the ONT at maximum rate. From there the signal is transferred to a CAT5e ethernet line that is connected to the WAN port on a router. From here the bandwidth divides itself based on the number of requests for data that are being received. For example, let's say you are downloading a file and you are getting a 10 megabit download rate. Someone else connected to a router also begins to download a file. Now your download rate drops to 5 megabits and the other person also gets a 5 megabit download rate. Keep  in mind that this is a very simplistic view and the actual process is more complex. I mention this because in some cases if a wireless router hasn't been properly configured it could allow others to connect and with each connection the total amount of bandwidth available will drop. So the first thing is to make sure you have the wireless security correctly configured. Rebooting the router will also kick everyone off so if your going to do a test, try and reboot first.

From the router, there are two types of connections available; wireless, and wired. I have not seen any routers created in the past 5 years that don't at least have a 100/mb (100 megabit) connection. So unless you have a bandwidth plan that exceeds 100 megabits not having a gigabit connection isn't going to change anything. Performing a speed test isn't always going to be completely accurate as it depends on a high quality connection. You can test your connection quality at http://www.pingtest.net I would advise you check it more than one time with at least two different servers. There is lots of information there to help you determine what the actual quality of your connection is. I would also recommend that any speed tests or quality tests be performed with a wired connection. It is important to note that ethernet cable has multiple wires and is specially constructed to carry data. If the cable has a tear in the covering or is loose at the connections, it could cause a decrease in the connection speed. So check the quality of the ethernet cable. (including the one comming from the ONT to the router)
 Any speed optimizer only actually adjusts settings inside an operating system and although there may be some quality or speed gain, there usually won't be more than one or two megabits. If the wired connection is getting significantly lower speeds that you are subscribed too, then there is a process that MIGHT help.

First, power off the router. If you can't find a power switch, then unplug the power. The next step is going to be a bit more complicated and you will need to be very careful. This involves rebooting the ONT. You can find instructions here.Wait about a min or so after this and then turn the router back on.

[If you are still having connection issues, contact Verizon. I would highly recommend that you actually call in and if you can afford the minuets, I'd call in with a cell phone. This should make sure that you don't lose the technician your talking to. Otherwise ask the tech to call you back if needed.]

Wireless technology.
There are currently 4 different types of wireless connections. a b g n. Most routers have what is called mixed mode. This means that it can communicate on any of the available types of connections. Each of these types has a speed limit.

• 802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
  • 802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
  • 802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps

If you are using a wireless connection, you will need to check to see what types of wireless connections your device can handle. (Wireless N is still very new so most older devices aren't likely to support that type of connection. )

Each of these wireless speeds are maximum speeds and are only seen under absolutely perfect conditions. Even with a device right next to a router there is no guarantee that you will get the maximum rate. This can be from poorly constructed wireless adapters or interference from other devices that use a wireless signal. This can be other routers in the area, cell phone, cordless phones and other wireless devices in close proximity. There are some wireless apps that can show you other interference in the area and help you determine what your wireless connection signal strength actually is. Each wireless transmits on a specific channel and each channel is a different frequency and so you could get interference on one channel or not on others. Some routers will attempt to auto select a channel but if your having issues you might need to manually change channels until you find one that seems to give you a better connection rate. Keep in mind that a wireless connection can fluctuate up and down depending on the quality of the signal and the distance from the wireless router.
  Another thing that commonly happens is some wireless devices are designed to automatically connect to a wireless network in range and sometimes will just connect to the nearest un-secured wireless network. So make sure you double check to make sure you are actually connected to your own wireless network and not someone elses.
 For those that have the newer routers that use wireless N. If you do in fact have a device that uses wireless N (the kindle fire HD uses it fyi.) I've found that for some reason, changing the router to wireless N exclusive mode (so only wireless N devices can connect) and making sure my wireless N device is connected at a rate above 54 Mbps and then switching back to mixed mode, seemed to allow my wireless N to connect at a higher rate.

The verizon router that came with my service also came with brand new ethernet cable. It was too short for me to use but the technician that installed the service made me a longer one. I kept the shorter ones and now if I have a connection issue, I use a laptop and one of those wires to test the wired connection before anything else. If you have a wireless device that you could connect wired to the router, I would highly reccomend that you use this to diagnose or adjust any connection issues you may have.

NickZQ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Even with the newest Verizon FiOS router, the max speed I was getting wirelessly was about 39Mbits when I am in the second floor.  I have since bought a better router - the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, I connect the Netgear router (WAN port) to the Verizon FiOS router (LAN port) and disable the Wifi on the Verizon router.  Now I used the Netgear Wifi and could get the full 75/35 speed wirelessly.

However, the max speed is also limited by the Wifi card (client) you have on your computer.

sameer442

Quantum FiOS is a complete scam.  My speeds have remained unchanged or perhaps deteriorated since I converted to Quantum.  Getting 10-15 MBPS download on a brand new latest version macbook pro and HP high end laptop from work.  Was told that the issue was with the macbook ... No one mentioned that I needed the new router with Quantum when I was offered to sign up (maybe it was in the fine print somewhere), which Verizon now wants me to buy for $99.99.  What a SCAM!  Considering switching to TWC ... slower speeds but at least it is cheaper and I'm ok getting what I pay for now that I know 50/25 counts for nothing, at least for me who uses WiFi only at home.

0 Likes
robhab

I agree that many customers do not understand the difference between wireless and and wired performance.

However - if all you do is swap an older model MI424WR router for a new MI4242WR GigE rev I router and you immediately see a 90% drop in speed due to a dramatic drop in signal signal strength (NOTHING else changed) - then I think Version or Actionec has some explaining to do and custom satisfaction issues.

This new 75/35 speed is advertised as an improvement - and my wired speeds are amazing.  The wireless speed right next to the router is great too  (50% of the top wired speed).  But the range drop is awful.  3/4 of my house that previously had 10 Mb speed - now has much less than 1 Mb.  I get 80/40 in my den - the rest of my familiy is effectively shut our from hi-speed FIOS.

I just need a detailed fix from Verizon or Actiontec - the cost is not as important as my time and frustration level.

If someone had told me this would happen - i would not have upgraded my service

0 Likes
SpeedThree
Contributor - Level 1

@robhab wrote:

But the range drop is awful.  3/4 of my house that previously had 10 Mb speed - now has much less than 1 Mb.  I get 80/40 in my den - the rest of my familiy is effectively shut our from hi-speed FIOS.

I purchased the Actiontec n router from Verizon and my speeds are now blazing fast, from top to bottom, in a three-story townhouse.  I am getting over 50Mbps in the iMac wired to the modem and 30Mbps over WiFi at the laptop in the basement, three floors away.  How could your speeds possibily so extraordinarily slow???

0 Likes
robhab

the poor signal strength is why my wireless speeds are only 1 Mb one room away
the new wired speed is fantastic - 80/40 Mb - the wireless speed next to the router is great too

I am not radio expert - i assumed the new router would have at least the same range as the old router
I dont care why - i just want to fix this so my familiy can enjoy FIOS again

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Drew024 wrote:

Connection primer / basics on connection.

Wireless technology.
There are currently 4 different types of wireless connections. a b g n. Most routers have what is called mixed mode. This means that it can communicate on any of the available types of connections. Each of these types has a speed limit.

• 802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
  • 802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
  • 802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps

If you are using a wireless connection, you will need to check to see what types of wireless connections your device can handle. (Wireless N is still very new so most older devices aren't likely to support that type of connection. )

Actually at this point wireless N is no longer very new.  Mid 2007 draft-n devices started being produced and certified. FIOS had its version F.  And 2009 was the final ratification.  Fios's version G and I.

The latest common wireless is 802.11.ac  and yes that is very new.  A couple posts in this thread mention 802.11ac devices.  And even newer versions are in the works

0 Likes
BillSweatt

Lately, Internet speeds have been terrible.  It may not be the actual transmission time, but the latency of loading sites.  Even the verizon.com site is taking forever to load.  Driving me nuts.   On the other hand, speedtest.net always snaps right up.  Can't have Verizon looking bad on test downloads.

I should note that this is a wired connection.

0 Likes
FiOS-Dave1
Enthusiast - Level 2

For those who are using wireless, please consider that there may be others in your area on the same channel that you are using. In order for you to get the fastest, most reliable connection, choose an unoccupied channel, if possible. The best channels to use are 1,6 or 11. These are non-overlapping channels, so there is less chance of local interference.

Also, if your router or computers have adjustable antennas, make sure that all antennas are using the same polarization!

This generally means aim all antennas up (vertically!), or, if you have a way to monitor signal strength, you might find that a different orientation gives you a stronger signal.

0 Likes