0 for 2 on buying my own G1100 Router
adrosenb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, I've tried twice now to buy my own G1100 Router and have struck out now twice. Bought both from Amazon. The first one I got was a Frontier router. The second one I got was Verizon, but just got off the phone with them and they have the serial number in their system as unreturned equipment, so they are still charging me a monthly fee. The rep recommended I don't bother trying to buy from amazon/ebay. To be honest, after striking out twice, I'm ready fo just buy the VZ router for $300. I just installed eero, I so I only need the router, so it is frustrating. Am I missing anything? What would you do? But seems like such a waste when you can buy this router for around $100.

0 Likes
Re: 0 for 2 on buying my own G1100 Router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If all you need is a router without WiFi, I agree that spending $300 on the G3100 is a hard pill to swallow.   Hopefully you were able to return both for a full refund.

Many people report getting used G1100's online without issue.  You could try again and hope "3rd times a charm!" (Of course, make sure the seller has a fair return policy.)  You could also try local used item sites and see if you can figure out a way to verify a device before you buy.

If you're not using Verizon set-top-boxes, know that you don't have to use a Verizon router.

0 Likes
Re: 0 for 2 on buying my own G1100 Router
jonjones1
Legend

You can buy an out of the store like from Best Buy a router priced at $75 such as a linksys or Netgear or tp link archer and it will work with fios. If you have tv with fios the set up is a little harder to make tv work. Get a router with external antennas and the latest standards like AC or N and you should be ok.

0 Likes