Re: 1 Gig Connection Not Working
Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not getting mad... I'm saying there is a viable reason as to why I'm not getting the speed I'm supposed to be getting.  If I use speedtest.org I actually get better numbers than using Verizon's checker.

0 Likes
Labguy1

"Actual gigabyte is 1024/1024 in perfect conditions"

Absolutely not true, There is overhead in data transmission and no one provides line rate 1G service because that is not possible with 1G hardware. If 1G of IP traffic (layer 3) is being pushed ~950M is the limitation, if 1G of Ethernet traffic (layer 2) is being sent you will see ~980M. 

Try another laptop before different models and different operating systems perform differently. Antivirus software can cause slow doenload speeds and so can out of date drivers. At the very least try another device before you go running to the PSC...geeze for real....

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Labguy wrote:

"Actual gigabyte is 1024/1024 in perfect conditions"

Absolutely not true, There is overhead in data transmission and no one provides line rate 1G service because that is not possible with 1G hardware. If 1G of IP traffic (layer 3) is being pushed ~950M is the limitation, if 1G of Ethernet traffic (layer 2) is being sent you will see ~980M. 

Try another laptop before different models and different operating systems perform differently. Antivirus software can cause slow doenload speeds and so can out of date drivers. At the very least try another device before you go running to the PSC...geeze for real....

Which is why I said in a perfect world. I am telling the original poster not to expect absolute top end speeds. In addition to that if the speeds are well below the 940/880 that Verizon Fios advertise then yes a trip to the Public Service Commission is in order. This complaint should be handled at Verizon tech support without the need to go to an outside regulatory agency.

if Verizon fixed the issue then there would be no need. That simple.

if the speed test with Verizon's own routers are getting crap speed and I am not talking device speeds and a customer calls to get it looked at then it should be fixed. WITHOUT HAVING TO GET THE PSC INVOLVED geesh 

0 Likes
tonyshaker

I have been having the same problem with my Verizon FIOS Gigabit Internet connection speed! I have had mulitple techs come to my house, and when the use speedTest.Verzion.com, then select "Device Speed Test", my direct RJ-45 connections speeds are NEVER near their posted 900+ Mbps. My Internet connections speeds, are at best, between 500-700 Mbps.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Good luck with that suit.

not going to happen. Your speeds tested here https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

is the only test Verizon accepts. And the proviso is “up to” not guaranteed.

the problem is most devices are not with perfect nic cards, WiFi cards, even fast processors so that speed will vary. That is the way of the world.

so you will have to either live with the slower speeds or downgrade to a speed like 150/150 or less to see thorough put matched or above those listed speeds.

0 Likes
wmupchurch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did anyone ever get this resolved?  I have the same problem.  

I just had gigabit installed (upgrading from 150).  The Verizon test shows 940 to the box, but I can only pull 300-400 when directly connected to the Quantum router via ethernet.  I have a new i7 laptop with SSD and 16GB of memory.  There is no reason that it shouldn't pull speeds close to 940.  Yes, I know.  It's not full gigabit and the speed varies, but regardless, I would expect 700 or 800+.  I have tested a second slightly older computer that still has a gigabit ethernet port.  Same result. 

I can only conclude that somehow the quantum router can't push gigabit to the 4 ethernet ports.  My next test will be to plug a high end linksys gaming router and directly connect my computer to that.  I'll post the results when I get them, but in the meantime, I'm curious to know if the original poster ever solved the issue (or anyone else for that matter). 

Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey there!

we did sort of solve our issue.  First was ditching the Verizon provided router and actually getting a good one. The Verizon router was receiving the high speed just not able to push it out that way.

We also hooked a desktop machine with a capable NIC directly into the router and did indeed pull down the proper speed.  A lot of it had to do with the equipment we were trying to use on the network.

We ended up redoing our entire network with non Verizon equipment and being able to connect directly to the router.  We also found that the way the Verizon tech had set us up was not ideal at all.  We had an extender and the extender was not capable of pumping out the speed we wanted either.  So, removing a lot of bottle necks and hooking up directly to our new router has helped a lot. 

fitnezzfreak

I am having this exact issue since upgrading to gig from 150/150.  I also have an extender by my tv equipment which only has an apple tv plugged into it.  I can't seem to get any help and have also had Verizon out twice.  

What router did you replace your Verizon quantum with?

0 Likes
Amythyst
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ubiquiti.

0 Likes
fitnezzfreak

Thanks!  I will give this device a try before downgrading service

0 Likes