1 Gig Per Sec Internet Speed, Old Cat 5 Cable
Kyokiboy

I am paying for 1 GigPer Sec service; however, I noticed the router cable coming into my house is only an old Cat 5 cable, not a 5e, 6, or 7 which can handle speeds up to 10 GB/sec.  Should I call verizon to have them run a newer cable to my house? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 1 Gig Per Sec Internet Speed, Old Cat 5 Cable
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The real questions you should be asking yourself are:

1. Is the interface running 1GB/s

2. Am I encountering errors on the interface?

To check #1, log into the router and select "Advanced" then "Port Configuration".   Your WAN port should be running 1000 full-duplex.

To check #2, log into the router and select "My Network" then "Network Connections" then "Full Status".  Under the Broadband column, check "Receive Errors" and "Receive Drops".  This is normally zero, but a errors or drops over time (compared to your packet and byte counts which are probably a 10 or 11 digit large number) are perfectly fine.   

If you're running 100 or half-duplex, have Vz check the port speed setting on your ONT (they can do that remotely).  If you have high error counts (we're talking a measurable percentage here), then have Vz check connectivity from their ONT to your router (which they should also be able to do remotely).  If these conditions exist and Vz says it's not their equipment, then and only then it might be time to think about a better piece of ethernet cable.

View solution in original post

Re: 1 Gig Per Sec Internet Speed, Old Cat5 Cable
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can call and see, but just so you know that will be a billable visit. Are you certain that is a a cat 5 cable? Verizon never used cat 5 for FiOS installs. They used 5e since the beginning of FiOS installations. 

Re: 1 Gig Per Sec Internet Speed, Old Cat 5 Cable
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The real questions you should be asking yourself are:

1. Is the interface running 1GB/s

2. Am I encountering errors on the interface?

To check #1, log into the router and select "Advanced" then "Port Configuration".   Your WAN port should be running 1000 full-duplex.

To check #2, log into the router and select "My Network" then "Network Connections" then "Full Status".  Under the Broadband column, check "Receive Errors" and "Receive Drops".  This is normally zero, but a errors or drops over time (compared to your packet and byte counts which are probably a 10 or 11 digit large number) are perfectly fine.   

If you're running 100 or half-duplex, have Vz check the port speed setting on your ONT (they can do that remotely).  If you have high error counts (we're talking a measurable percentage here), then have Vz check connectivity from their ONT to your router (which they should also be able to do remotely).  If these conditions exist and Vz says it's not their equipment, then and only then it might be time to think about a better piece of ethernet cable.