100mbs to 200mbs coax to ethernet stumped
JeffMyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

BACKGROUND:

I recently got offered an upgrade in speed from 100/100 to 200/200 speed. All I was told by Verizon is that they would mail out a cable that I need to connect before installation. I find out that it's a 10' cable and they never told me what to connect with it. Router to computer or router to ONT. I find they want me to connect the ONT to router.  First of all they installed my ONT and router about 50' apart when they did original installation so 10' is not really gonna cut it. Second, they never told me that I need to upgrade my router since the Actiontec does not support faster speed or ethernet. 

I only have internet.. no TV or phone. 

My current setup is outside my house I have service from the pole going to a large 12"x18" box on my wall, from that coax runs into my basement to a smaller box with a battery backup inside. I believe from there coax runs to my router. 

ACTIONS: 

I purchased my 50' CAT7 cable and I'm picking up the Verizon G1100 router. 

QUESTION: 

Is it as simple as unplugging to coax from the outside box, plugging in the cat7 cable to box and router, bypassing the smaller box in basement and running setup link Verizon sent me? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 100mbs to 200mbs coax to ethernet stumped
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Finish what setup? For speed upgrade, you don't need to "finish setup." Unless, I am mistaken. Can you explain what do you mean by finish setup?

For the speed upgrade over 100Mbps, I believe AMS does automatically switch your coax to Ethernet port on the ONT. Make sure you have swapped the router and run the Ethernet cable first.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you have no TV, simply connect your router and the ONT with an Ethernet cable. You can leave the coax on or off because the port will be not provisioned any way.

I suggest you to make the router swap first, that is replacing the Actiontec with G1100. Just plug the current coax from the ONT to the G1100's Coax port, then configure the G1100 until everything on your home network side is working.

After that, run your CAT 7 (quite overkill, CAT5e will suffice your purpose) from the ONT to your router while keep the coax cable in place. When you are ready to switch, contact customer service and ask to switch from Coax to Ethernet. This should be done in a few minutes. Once switched, G1100 should use the Ethernet link directly without additional configuration. If you encounter problems after the switch, ask the representative whether can connect to your G1100. If yes, you can ask the representative to adjust appropriate settings for you.

JeffMyers
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. They told me that once I connect cable to finish setup via the app. I’m hoping that will make the coax to Ethernet switch. 

as far as cat7.. it was what I had access to and I figured it would not hurt. 

thanks!! 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Finish what setup? For speed upgrade, you don't need to "finish setup." Unless, I am mistaken. Can you explain what do you mean by finish setup?

For the speed upgrade over 100Mbps, I believe AMS does automatically switch your coax to Ethernet port on the ONT. Make sure you have swapped the router and run the Ethernet cable first.