-10dBm Signal Interference
attrike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was having trouble reaching an upstairs bedroom and decided to check for interference from other networks using Xirrus WI-Fi Inspector. My Verizon Actiontec router is showing between -40 and -50 dBm at close ranges to the router but drops to about -80 or worse in the upstairs bedroom. While performing this test, I noticed occasional signals coming from two other 802.11N devices that were registering an amazing -10 dBm signal strength! Since my nearest neighber is about 1000 feet away, I have no idea where these signals are coming from and how they can achieve such huge signal strengths at range. Unfortunately, they use Channels 1, 6, and 11, so I'm not sure what to set my router to. These signals are also very intermittent; they appear and disappear at random, as if someone is turning their router on and off or are beaming a high gain signal in different directions at different times. Has anyone experienced this kind of interference or know what it could be?  Also, will letting my router automatically choose a channel minimize this kind of experience?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: -10dBm Signal Interference
attrike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I talked to Xirrus and they diagnosed it as an initial calibration problem with their software running on my laptop. These signals would invariably jump to correct levels of less than -90 dBm or disappear completely after a minute or two.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I've found it best to set my wifi channel to a fixed value, one that I can see nobody else nearby is using.

In your case, I suggest your try setting your Actiontec's wifi to channel 3 or 4, or 8 or 9.  See if that helps reduce the problem you're having.

edit:  That -10 dBm is kind of hard to believe.  Does that utility you're using show an SSID?  If so...what SSID is being reported?

0 Likes
attrike
Enthusiast - Level 2

The SSIDs being reported are girl's names like "Nancy" and "Amanda" with 802.11N network modes and "access point" as the network type. Everything seems reasonable except the -10 dBm and the off and on nature of the transmission.

I could use channels other than 1, 6, and 11, but then I run into some interference due to overlapping bandwidths, but I'll try it to see if it helps. Thanks.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm wondering if you could have something strange running on your laptop.  Or if Xirrus might be giving you bad info.   I'd be curious to know if you see those same very strong SSID's if you take your laptop to another location...another neighborhood.

I'm not personally familiar with Xirrus Wi-Fi inspector.  I use inSSIDer.   You might try it to see if you get the same results.

Good luck, and I'll be interested in any news you provide, and/or if anyone else here on the forum has other ideas.

Edit:  It's not uncommon for wifi to be less-than-great when trying to use it through multiple walls or floors.  My solution is to use two wireless access points.  I use my Actiontec at one end of our house and another WAP in the basement at the other end of the house.  That gives us solid coverage throughout.

You might consider solving your problem by setting up a second WAP upstairs. 

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe phones or computers that are acting as Mobile Hotspots? 

0 Likes
attrike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I talked to Xirrus and they diagnosed it as an initial calibration problem with their software running on my laptop. These signals would invariably jump to correct levels of less than -90 dBm or disappear completely after a minute or two.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@VUser50 wrote:

Maybe phones or computers that are acting as Mobile Hotspots? 

And belonging to your daughters friends Nancy and Amanda.  Really sounds like a mobile hotspot.

0 Likes