150/35Mbps Service
breyle
Enthusiast - Level 1
why is it that NO ONE I've contacted by phone, by email and online at Verizon can help me?
I've been trying to get the new FIOS 150/35 Mbps service up and running at my home since 3 Nov 11. When I speak to a FIOS Sales rep as well as checking on line to see if my resident is able to receive this service - with and without a home phone service I'm told YES YOUR HOME CAN RECEIVE THIS FIOS SPEED! I've placed two orders online as well as with live over the phone VERIZON FIOS SALES REPS, have even upgraded home service to digital voice. Was told every day (until actual scheduled activation day) everything is on schedule; even received a phone call and email my digital phone service and 150/35 Mbps service was activated that all I needed to do was to install the "new high speed router". I even received what I was led to believe was the router for the 150/35 Mps speed - yeah you guessed it - it was exactly the same model I currently have installed for my 30/15 Mbps FIOS INTERNET- can anyone tell me what is the model number of the 150/35Mbps router that I need to have to replace my existing Verizon Router? Yes I do have the NIC CARDS FOR 10/100/1000 speed already installed in my PCs, am using cat 7 cable for the rj45 connection from router to PCs and have the correct optic fiber and coaxial cable already installed from outside the house (VERIZON) hub to my residence. All I need is the friggen upgrade router. I'm posting this because I'm NOT getting the answers from anyone who works for VERIZON and am putting it out in the clouds to see if anyone can tell me the model number of the new router I need. THX!
0 Likes
Re: 150/35Mbps Service
jtavarez1
Enthusiast - Level 2

You need the mi-424wr Rev G router for 150/35

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you describe your setup a bit more? The 150Mbps package requires you to have a GPON ONT with the WAN Connection set up to be via the RJ45 port and NOT the Coaxial Port via MoCa. MoCa won't handle the higher speed packages offered. If Verizon did not send a tech out to do this or if you did not do this yourself, that needs to be done. Second, what revision ActionTec do you currently have? Rev. G as pointed out is needed (Rev. H/I have not seen their production days yet) for the 150M service for the Gigabit switch, N support and faster processor/more RAM. Lastly, do download/upload tests show you as getting speeds higher than 60Mbps down, 40Mbps up?

It's been seen a few times already that the 150M Package is new enough to the point where the ordering system and databases have screwed up or an install was not done right.

0 Likes
breyle
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have the AT MI424WR Rev F router.

No, a tech did not come to my house. Was never given that option for the 150/35 Mbps upgrade.

I've had the 30/15 Verizon FIOS Plan for three years now. A VERIZON Tech installed it a little over three years ago.

Have no idea what a GPON ONT is. I also don't have any idea what you're referring to when you say: "with the WAN connection set up to be via the RJ45 port and NOT the Coaxial Port via MoCa." What is GPON ONT and a MoCa?

ALL the download and upload tests I've conducted show that on THE BEST DAYS I GET 30 Mbps download and 14.9 Mbps upload. Most of the time I get between 7 to 25 Mbps download and 1 to 8 Mbps upload depending upon time of day and Internet usage in the area.

Probably best place to start is to have a VERIZON Tech come to my house to check out what is needed to be done and what if any hardware I need besides the REV G router. I suspect I'll be doing a bunch of research on what the GPON ONT and what the MoCa are along with what other items I may or may not need.

I agree about the 150/35 FIOS plan getting screwed up by VERIZON. You would think that before the product is offered they would have their sales reps, tech support folk and live on line agents fully versed on what can be done, what's needed to do the upgrade "properly" etc. I'd drop Verizon completley if it weren't for the fact I hate the other providers in my area AND they don't offer the speeds I want.

THX for your input.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@breyle wrote:

I also don't have any idea what you're referring to when you say: "with the WAN connection set up to be via the RJ45 port and NOT the Coaxial Port via MoCa." What is GPON ONT and a MoCa?

THX for your input.

MoCa is ethernet over coax

What he is saying the the connection between the ONT and the router need to be an ethernet cable not coax.  Ethernet over coax does not support that hi-speed access.

A moot point for you at the moment as you don't have the correct router and probably not the correct ONT either if yours was installed 3 years ago - I belive they onlt started rolling out the GPON 's earlier this year.  One significant differenec with the GPON ONT is that the ethernet port on it is a gigabit port

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In my area they've been rolling out GPON ONTs for a few years now. That is for the new builds nearby in Amherst, NY and Tonawanda, NY that were wired up when Verizon began deploying GPON. If the OP can provide to us the model number of their ONT, that would be a great step into seeing what needs to be done. A tech shouldn't need to come out if a GPON ONT is already installed. If an old BPON Unit is installed, a tech roll is certainly required.

As far as GPON and BPON go, they are two different types of signaling technologies over a fiber cable. BPON is older and slower, more abundant too, whereas GPON is faster and more efficient. BPON is 622Mbps/122Mbps split across up to 32 homes, GPON is 2.4Gbps/1.2Gbps split across up to 64 homes (Verizon I hope is still doing 32 homes with GPON). Verizon is also trialing X-GPON which is running at speeds around 10Gbps down split across 32.

As far as the Ethernet connection goes, the reason for it is as pointed out above, MoCa 1.1 does not cope well with speeds approaching 100Mbps. Even though the link speeds can be in excess of 200Mbps, it works similar to Wireless connections with Theoretical link rates. What you get is half or less the theoretical speed. An Ethernet connection works very close to it's rated speed once data transmission overhead has been accounted for. This has to do with the way signaling works with each technology as well as duplexing. Since the 150Mbps connection will not work with MoCa 1.1 due to the stated limitations, you'll need an Ethernet connection running at 1Gbps between the router and the ONT. That will handle a 150Mbps like it was nothing. The GPON ONTs Verizon deploys all have Gigabit Ethernet ports. The BPON ONTs only have 100Mbps Ethernet ports.

As far as the ActionTec goes, yes, the Rev. F while it will handle WAN <> LAN speeds in excess of 100Mbps, is limited by the Ethernet switch. That runs at 100Mbps which will max at about 95Mbps after overhead. Obviously quicker than MoCa 1.1 in the long run but still not fast enough. The Rev. G has a Gigabit switch on-board.

What I would suggest doing before you give Verizon a call is to double check online as to what package you really have. I hope you aren't paying $200 a month for a 35Mbps/35Mbps line that was misprovisioned and becomes a trainwreck at night due to PON Signaling. If you can verify that you have the 150Mbps package, then immediately call and ask for them to dispatch a technican since one was supposed to be scheduled automatically by the system upon ordering. When the tech arrives, he will swap out your ONT if it is a BPON ONT to a newer GPON ONT (Probably a Motorola, which is what they deploy in my area these days), and he will get your data switched from MoCa to Ethernet. He will then unbox an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. G and replace your Rev. F with it. He will additionally run Ethernet cabling from your ONT to the router, and will ensure your PC is pulling the rated speeds before he leaves.

prisaz
Legend

The new router that is supplied with the 150/35 has GigE on LAN and WAN. It does not show on the Verizon site that I could find.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/AEI%20MI424WR%20GigE%20datasheet.pdf

0 Likes