150mb FIOS tier?
Jarablue
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is it when I try to subscribe to this tier, no one in sales knows anything about it?

I want to subscribe but everyone I talk to has never heard of it yet Verizon offers it.  How does one go about getting this tier?

Re: 150mb FIOS tier?
Jarablue
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also when I put my address in to seach for available products, it tells me that fios isn't avaialbe in my area, yet I have 35/35 with TV and phone.  I don't understand.

??

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried ordering it through the Verizon website? If you visit http://my.verizon.com/ and log into the website and look under the My Account section, you should be able to select an upgraded Internet plan if it is available. The Reps you're talking to should know about it, but the package probably isn't ordered too much and it's availability is still limited. If you can order it through the Verizon website, it should be good to go. It will* require a tech roll since he will need to install Ethernet as well as provide to you a new ActionTec router (one that supports Gigabit and Wireless N).

If you are unable to order the 150Mbps package because they state it is unavailable, tell us what model ONT Verizon has installed in your home or provide a picture. In BPON areas, the 150Mbps tier will not be sold. In areas that use both GPON and BPON, there's a chance that you can order it. In GPON areas, you should be guaranteed the package.

0 Likes
Jarablue
Enthusiast - Level 2

So in a BPon only area we are pretty much stuck on 35/35 forever?

That's kinda depressing.  😞

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You won't be stuck on it forever. Technically, BPON can handle 150Mbps/35Mbps though verizon chooses not to sell it since it could result in too much of an oversubscription ratio for Verizon to like. On BPON, your connection should always be capable of dishing out around 20Mbps downstream, which would occur if all of your neighbors on a 32 way splitter happened to be downloading at the same time. A 150Mbps user will take away that "guarantee" if you know what I'm thinking of. In the future when Verizon bumps FiOS speeds up higher, you will see at one point Verizon requesting to come replace your ONT with a newer one, which would mean they are installing GPON if it isn't already in use. Otherwise, they won't generally issue an upgrade/replacement of expensive fiber gear unless there's demand for it.

The possibility always stands though, that your local FDH happens to have both GPON and BPON running to it. You'd need to push Verizon engineering to take a look into that for you, but if it is available an ONT change and a splitter swap will allow you to get 150Mbps.

0 Likes
Jarablue
Enthusiast - Level 2

Getting Verizon engineering to look into this is like pulling teeth.  I wish it were easier to push things up the ladder to get noticed at Verzion.

Ah well.  I'll stick with 35/35 for now.

Thanks.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps these two threads might be a good read for you. See what you can get out of it 🙂

Part 1: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r25099220-150-35-FiOS-Internet-available-11-21-10

Part 2: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25991693-Finally-got-150-35-150-65-.-I-mean-155-75-

Search for posts made by the user houkouonchi . He's also registered on these forums but I'm not sure if he lurks around here a lot.

0 Likes