1GB internet upgrade experience
GlobalEarthling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Am between Baltimore and DC. Upgraded internet from 75/75 to 1GB/1GB on Friday 13 May 2018. Have 2 smart TVs, and 2 computers CAT-7-wired to a Quantum router and numerous Wi-Fi cell phones and pads. Upgraded out of curiosity more than practicality. Originally self-installed Fosmon and Grand CAT-7 cabling years ago, chosen for future-proofing. Verizon tech arrived with CAT-6. I had an extra CAT-7 cable and that was installed between the outside box and my modem, at my request. However, it didn't work. Tech stated that it might be because the connectors are metal and may be acting as antenna, causing signal interference. So, "Verizon-approved" CAT-6 with plastic connectors replaced my cable. That worked without any further issues, and the installation finished quickly because my metal-connectors-CAT-7 cabling to my 4 devices were not replaced. Immediately Verizon-speed tested through the desktop computer and the results (today also) are: CAT 6 Router 949 down, 945 up; CAT 7 Computer 964 down, 907 up. Latency 3ms. Streaming was already fast under 75/75. Are Netflix/YouTube 4K-streamers on our TVs. Most noticeable improvement is in smoother action movies and no more pausing YouTube videos. Have not tested any Wi-Fi device, because do not yet know how. Cheers!

0 Likes
Re: 1GB internet upgrade experience
jonjones1
Legend

To test a WiFi device set your cell phone to WiFi on. Let the phone find your network name, then logon to your network. Your network name and password for the WiFi is located on a sticker on your router.

if you have a WiFi enabled tablet, or even a WiFi radio in one of your computers the device will show your network and again logging in is via the same method.

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide1409251.pdf

0 Likes