2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz
nlavon

My Droid Maxx phone has stopped finding the 5 Ghz WiFi signal from my main FIOS router and the new extender I just purchased. The main router is a FIOS G1100 and the extender is the Actiontec WCB6200Q. I can access the 2.4 Ghz signal from eithier router but not the 5 Ghz signal. Other devices, like iPhones, iPads, and laptops can find the 5 Ghz signal. So it must be the phone but has anyone experienced anything like this? The phone has picked it up before but now cannot. I am wondering if there is any tweak that needs to be made on the router or if someone has had a similar experience. It is very frustrating. Motorola, which makes the phone, says it should be able to get the 5 Ghz signal...but it does not. Any suggestions (please don't just say buy a new phone) would be welcome. Thank you.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For some technical info behind this, the Droid MAXX may not be able to connect to 5Ghz networks which are on a DFS channel, because it is limited in software or has not been certified by the FCC for DFS use in the USA. The FiOS G1100 "Quantum" Gateway is capable of using DFS channels, and will try to use them whenever possible in more noisy environments, to make use of otherwise untapped Wireless bandwidth.

View solution in original post

nlavon

Problem was solved when the Verizon tech switched my main router channel from Auto to 157. That seemed to clear it right up.

Maybe others who have this problem can take note.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For some technical info behind this, the Droid MAXX may not be able to connect to 5Ghz networks which are on a DFS channel, because it is limited in software or has not been certified by the FCC for DFS use in the USA. The FiOS G1100 "Quantum" Gateway is capable of using DFS channels, and will try to use them whenever possible in more noisy environments, to make use of otherwise untapped Wireless bandwidth.

jofa1007

This worked for me:

On your FIOS ROUTER - change the 5GHz channel frequency to something other than Automatic.  Try 48.    Then save.

Then on your EXTENDER - change the WIFI channel to the same 48.  Save.  Rescan and your extender should now see the 5GHz band from your fios router.

There's something buggy with the Automatic setting apparently.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes