2 Fios Routers
Fred_Flinstone

Disclaimer: I know that this is a comon question, but none of the others have been healpful

I am moving in with my Grandmother soon.  She has Fios already set up with one router (pluged into coax).  The router is in her bedroom and therefore cannot be conected to anything via ethernet without drilling holes in the floor/wall/ceiling.  We cannot unplug (or therefore move) the router to a better location.  The office has a coax port in the wall.  I have a Fios router from my dad's house that he no longer needs.  Can I plug my dad's router into the coax in the office and have it give me internet through ethernet?  This would be without any further setup of the secondary router.  If not, can I do this without unpluging the already set up router, with some setup of the new router?

Thank you in advance for any (helpful) answers. 

0 Likes
Re: 2 Fios Routers
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes but there will be some configuration that is required. Login to your Dad’s router at 192.168.1.1 and go to My Network/Network Connections/ Network Home/Office settings and change the IP Address to something of than 192.168.1.1 like 192.168.1.99 for example. Then scroll down to IP Address Distribution and set to Disabled and click Apply. 

Fred_Flinstone

How do I log in to my dad's router?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

How do I log in to my dad's router?

Edg1 told you how to do it.

from your web browser connected to your fathers network in the url bar type.

192.168.1.1 there will be a login to the router page. You will need your fathers logon name and password to access his router.

after logged in if your father gives permission to do so follow the other posters instructions.

Fred_Flinstone

I assume I need to plug my Dad's router into coax and plug my computer into my Dad's router, yes?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

I assume I need to plug my Dad's router into coax and plug my computer into my Dad's router, yes?

If the coaxial is live at that wall unit, you can do it. However you need a computer to login to your fathers router not another router. Once the ip address is changed on your primary router you then fire up your router (fathers) and it should get an ip address.

the fastest way to connect to your grandmothers router/service is use wifi. Much simplier. However you could get a network extender from netgear or other vendor. Once paired with the router you can plug it into a wall socket to use it either via wifi or ethernet. 

Like this here. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-universal-wi-fi-range-extender-with-ethernet-port-white/2733324...

They come more expensive but this should work. Follow the directions in the box and you will be ok.

Fred_Flinstone

@jonjones wrote:

If the coaxial is live at that wall unit, you can do it. However you need a computer to login to your fathers router not another router. Once the ip address is changed on your {primary router} you then fire up your router (fathers) and it should get an ip address.

I assume that my primary router is my grandmother's.  Why am I changing it's IP address.  If the primary router is not my grandmother's router, what is, and why am I changing it's IP address. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

If the coaxial is live at that wall unit, you can do it. However you need a computer to login to your fathers router not another router. Once the ip address is changed on your {primary router} you then fire up your router (fathers) and it should get an ip address.

I assume that my primary router is my grandmother's.  Why am I changing it's IP address.  If the primary router is not my grandmother's router, what is, and why am I changing it's IP address. 

The primary(grandmother’s) router you leave as it is configured. Nothing to change in the primary. The IP change will be in your router. The default IP of a router is typically 192.168.1.1 so the other router can’t have the same address or also give out IPs. That is why you have to disable the DHCP server. 

Take your router to a laptop or pc and connect it to the LAN(yellow) port. Open up your browser and type 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgatway.com login and go to My Network/Network Connections/ Network (Home/Office)/ Settings and scroll down and change the IP to 192.168.1.X and scroll down a little further and disable IP Address Distribution. Click Apply. The connect the coax and reboot your pc and you should be online. 

Once this is done you will no longer be able to use 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgatway.com to access your router. You will have to type the IP the you change it to like 192.168.1.99 for example. 

jonjones1
Legend

The other posters answer was correct.

i said to your fathers router. Not your grandmothers.

i said the easier way was to use an extender off your grandmothers router.

but alls well that ends well.

Fred_Flinstone

Will any coax cable work?

0 Likes