Re: 2 Fios Routers
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

Will any coax cable work?

You will typically find RG59 and RG6 in houses, but you should really use RG6.

Fred_Flinstone

What is the differance?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

What is the differance?

RG59 has a smaller conductor and the signal will degrade more than RG6 over the same distance. RG59 isn’t used anymore. Everything installed today is RG6. If you need to purchase cable you want to get 75 Ohm tri or quad shield RG6. 

Fred_Flinstone

Thank you, I went out an bought a 50' Quad shield RG6 coaxial cable from Lowe's, but, it turns out, I'm an idiot:

on 8/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, @Fred_Flinstone wrote:

[My Grandmother] has Fios already set up with one router (plugged into coax).

But she doesn't.  She has it plugged into WAN Ethernet, not WAN coax.  What tricked me was that the TVs are plugged into LAN coax so they can get signal.  WAN Ethernet goes through a whole in the floor (which they don't know about) and into the drop ceiling of the basement   which is affixed very poorly, and so cannot be accessed.  Is there some way to   through coax, which runs through the house   use my dad's router as a bridge (or whatever the correct terminology would be) to get a wired connection in the office on the second floor?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

Thank you, I went out an bought a 50' Quad shield RG6 coaxial cable from Lowe's, but, it turns out, I'm an idiot:

on 8/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, @Fred_Flinstone wrote:

[My Grandmother] has Fios already set up with one router (plugged into coax).

But she doesn't.  She has it plugged into WAN Ethernet, not WAN coax.  What tricked me was that the TVs are plugged into LAN coax so they can get signal.  WAN Ethernet goes through a whole in the floor (which they don't know about) and into the drop ceiling of the basement   which is affixed very poorly, and so cannot be accessed.  Is there some way to   through coax, which runs through the house   use my dad's router as a bridge (or whatever the correct terminology would be) to get a wired connection in the office on the second floor?

You can still use your dad's router as a bridge. The coax doesn't need to connect directly to the other router it just needs to be connected to the cable splitter. The coax in the office is probably already connected to the main splitter. 

0 Likes
Fred_Flinstone

@Edg1 wrote:
The coax doesn't need to connect directly to the other router it just needs to be connected to the cable splitter. The coax in the office is probably already connected to the main splitter. 

1. What is the "Main Splitter"?

2. Do Both routers need to be connected to it?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

@Edg1 wrote:
The coax doesn't need to connect directly to the other router it just needs to be connected to the cable splitter. The coax in the office is probably already connected to the main splitter. 

1. What is the "Main Splitter"?

2. Do Both routers need to be connected to it?

In your first post you said your Grandmother’s router is connected via coax in her room. You want to connect your Dad’s router in the office with the coax jack. Once you connect Dad’s router to the office jack the Coax LAN light on back of the router should light up. If it does and you made the changes to the router then you should be online. 

0 Likes
Fred_Flinstone

1. My first post was wrong as I stated in post 14. 

2. In my first post I didn't differentiate between LAN and WAN, whereas in post 14, I did. 

3. To my knowledge, the coaxial cables running through the house are connected to my grandmother's router via LAN coax. 

4. When I connect my dad's router to the coaxial cables running through the house, no more lights light up than when I plug it into the outlet.  These lights are:

a. Power

b. Wireles

5. You did not answer my question from post 16, please do so I can use better terminology and be more informed and informative. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fred_Flinstone wrote:

1. My first post was wrong as I stated in post 14. 

2. In my first post I didn't differentiate between LAN and WAN, whereas in post 14, I did. 

3. To my knowledge, the coaxial cables running through the house are connected to my grandmother's router via LAN coax. 

4. When I connect my dad's router to the coaxial cables running through the house, no more lights light up than when I plug it into the outlet.  These lights are:

a. Power

b. Wireles

5. You did not answer my question from post 16, please do so I can use better terminology and be more informed and informative. 

Wherever the ONT is there will be a coax feed going to a cable splitter. All the cable that runs throughout the house will connect here. There can be one or multiple splitters in the house depending on the situation. The coax jack in the office needs to be connected to one of these splitters.

The coax connected to your Grandmother's router provides a MoCA LAN to the set-tops boxes. When you connect your G1100 to the office coax you will have a red globe and wireless light and on the back the Coax LAN light should light up. Just make sure it is configured the way we talked about in previous posts. Preferably before you connect it to the coax jack. It the Coax LAN light doesn't come on then that coax jack isn't connected to the cable splitter. 

0 Likes
Fred_Flinstone

I am sorry, but I don't know what many of the terms you used mean.   These are:

ONT

MoCA LAN

G1100

Please clarify what these are. 

I have no "[R]ed globe light" anywhere on my dad's router, and there are no lights, on or off on the back of it.  The lights on the front are:

Power (on)

WAN Ethernet (off)

WAN coax (off)

Internet (off)

LAN Ethernet 1, 2, 3, 4 (all off)

LAN coax (off)

USB 1 and 2 (both off)

Wireless (on)

Again, there are No Lights on the back. 

I did do all of the things you said in post 7, but this is still the state of things after coax is plugged in. 

0 Likes