2 IP Addresses
JerseyPlayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is it possible to get a second IP address and use a second router ? 

JerseyPlayer

0 Likes
Re: 2 IP Addresses
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes, and a lot of us do exactly that.  use the above walk through and you should be golden.

0 Likes
JerseyPlayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the post Hubrisnxs !  My problem is that I need 2 Xbox consoles to work correctly at the same time.  It appears the ActionTec router can't support 2 Xboxes fully.  You can't join each others session without being disconnected fro Xbox Live.  A wireshark captures shows some evidence that the UPnP is not working correctly.  The same ports are being used by both consoles.  

I was hoping that a second IP address can be ordered and a second router be connected.  

JerseyPlayer 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hang around here a little longer,   a couple guys here are really into gaming and normally get it working correctly.   getting multiple ip's re costly, like 20-40 extra a month 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

OR   I noticed in the other thread you said it worked with your linksys.  why don't you add the linksys to the set up, put it in the DMZ and then connect your xboxes to the linksys.   it worked in the past, it should work by simply plugging it in, and the dmz negates any need for any fancy forwarding from the actiontec

0 Likes
JerseyPlayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

The LINkSYS was working off my DSL.  I was able to choose my router of choice.  Switching to FiOS I have to use the ActionTec because I have TV service.

I may have to try the ONT router method.  Sending the data to the ONT using my router.  Then using another router feed the Action Tec for DVR/guide data.

It is silly that I was gaming with 3 xboxes all in the same game session off of my slow 7Mb DSL connection.  I now can't share a game with my sons with my faster 35Mb connection.

It would be worth 20 dollars extra a month for me to get this to work. 

JerseyPlayer

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

You can set the Actiontec to just provide connectivity to the STBs of your TVs.  It will use the coax for that.  You can then connect your Linksys to the Atec and let the Linksys do all the work.

0 Likes
JerseyPlayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks weedeater for the post.  Yeah that looks like the only real solution.  To get the DVR/on-demand/guide to function correctly it will require some extra configuration.  Still not sure if the configuration has been proven ?  Another site mentioned features not working correctly or missing with this setup. 

I think it will take a firmare revision or a different router.

JerseyPlayer

0 Likes