2 Xbox 360s & Westell A90-9100
jagrock1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a newer customer to Verizon FiOS.  I recently added a 2nd Xbox 360 to the house.  While I do have the basic FiOS TV service, it is mainly for the ability to record shows, most of my entertainment is through my Xbox 360s and internet apps built into my TV.

The problem is when both of them are on, the 2nd one gets a moderate NAT and even sometimes connection problems on Xbox Live.  I contacted Tech Support and the rep knew of the issue and stated he would send out a replacement modem.  He advised the Actiontec is known to work but cannot guarantee that I will receive one.  This sounded odd to me, but more on that in a minute.

So I received the replacement, an older manufactured Westell A90-9100.  Again same issues.  After doing some research, it appears that the Westell has issues with UPnP.  I have had mutliple Xbox's previously with other providers with no issues.  He talked about using a 3rd party router, but without an actual bridge mode, this is not considered a viable option for me (my wife is already on me as to why service we are paying for doesn't work as it should in her mind).  As for him stating he can't guarantee which one is being sent, I find that highly doubtful.

I work in Tier 2 tech support for another provider and while the customer/account management systems are different, they are still database driven.  I am sure there is an way to change the router type that is assigned to my account and then process a router replacement.  I am sure it is just company policy, which if he told I would be ok with and I would follow escalation channels as to get what I need.  I am sure if I upgrade to the 150 speed (I have seen others state it is generally reserved for them) I would have one out to me. 

But off the rant, has anyone been successful in getting 2 or more Xbox 360s working without moderate NAT issues on the Westell modem?  I will be needing to add more 360s in the near future.  My wife already wants to change to the local cable company (not an option in my book but wives can be very persuasive).  She has given me until we have to get the next Xbox installed or we will be switching services.

Please help me keep FiOS, I love the speed and do now wish to lose it.

Re: 2 Xbox 360s & Westell A90-9100
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon's systems legitimately won't allow their agents to specify a modem type.  It's an automated process.  So they have a list of your inventory, and they can click a checkmark next to whatever piece of equipment that you have and that is typically what gets sent to you.  So the only way to get a different modem is to buy one on your own through Ebay, or from a Verizon Tech having one on his truck and handing one to you.

having said that, have you tried to port forward the two boxes with the preconfigured xbox profiles?  that normally helps out quite a bit with the moderate nat thing.