20Mb/s somehow receiving under 1mb/s download!
Tactical_panda

Hi I have been paying for Fios Faster aka 20mb/s download max, however my computer is clocking under 1mb/s download speed which is completely unacceptable so I am very angry @ verizon right now. Everyone in my area that has Fios is getting their full 20mb/s but I am getting a measly .3mb/s I really need some help. Anyone?

0 Likes
Re: 20Mb/s somehow receiving under 1mb/s download!
Sabre70
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try resetting your ONT.  I recently upgraded to the HD Extreme TV with 25/25 internet from 10/2.  My UL and DL speeds were off as well.  I unplugged my ont and the unplugged the battery so there was no power at unit at all, left it that way for about 15 min and replugged it all in and now my dl speed is right at 25 and ul speed varies between 17-22.  Hope it works for you.

0 Likes
Tactical_panda

I just tried unplugging the battery to reset the ONT. I left it that way for about a min. plugged it back in and it definitely helped I am spiking up to 4mbs  but its not holding above 1.  spiking from about 200kb/s to about 4mb/s WOuld leaving it unplugged for longer actually help? or will it just be a failed attempt?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

go to www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php    there will be results that are specific to your connection and then post those results here

also are you using a wireless connection or hardwired

and what website are you using to test your speed.

0 Likes
Tactical_panda

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results » 

Tested on: 03.04.2010 20:13 

IP address: 173.48.xxx.x 

Client OS: Mac OS 

TCP options string: 020405b4010303010101080a020d31460000000004020000 

MSS: 1460 

MTU: 1500 

TCP Window: 65700 (multiple of MSS) 

RWIN Scaling: 1 bits (2^1=2) 

Unscaled RWIN : 32850 

Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840 

BDP limit (200ms): 2628kbps (329KBytes/s)

BDP limit (500ms): 1051kbps (131KBytes/s) 

MTU Discovery: ON 

TTL: 43 

Timestamps: ON 

SACKs: ON 

IP ToS: 00000000 (0) 

Before I was using speedtest.net my max I ever got was about 9mb/s that ONT reset did wonders but it still hasn't reached its full potential. I use wireless. I have a apple time capsule between the router and I to extend the range and make it an N connection.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

those settings look "ok"  the tcp rcv window is a bit low, so you may run into a problem there.

try running the optimizer @ www.verizon.net/optimize   and then please try not to use speedtest.net for your testing

use verizon's @ http://speedtest.verizon.net

make sure it's a hardwired machine not wireless, and that if you have windows 7 you take a quick look at this 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939006

prisaz
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

those settings look "ok"  the tcp rcv window is a bit low, so you may run into a problem there.

@try running the optimizer @ www.verizon.net/optimize   and then please try not to use speedtest.net for your testing

@use verizon's @ http://speedtest.verizon.net

make sure it's a hardwired machine not wireless, and that if you have windows 7 you take a quick look at this 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939006

Very good catch. I had completely forgot about that hotfix, which I applied directly after it was available through the support channels. But it's best to load service pack 1 if you have not done so, it fixes this and many other issues.

0 Likes
Tactical_panda

tried the optimizer however it only works with internet explorer and I have a mac so no luck there. Then I tried the verizon connection test thing and it didn't work either but it doesnt require IE so it was just weird. i'll update if i get the tester 2 work

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

You say you have a time capsule between your PC and the Verizon Router, and you are wireless.

1. Unplug everything from the LAN ports on the Verizon Router, if there is anything connected.

2. Use an Ethernet cable from your PC to the router.

3. Reboot your PC while connected to the router.

4. Repeat speed tests a various test sites.

5. All the software tweaks in the world are not going to fix a hardware issue, or hardware configuration issue on your wireless.

6. You could be having wireless issues with something interfering with the communications or just a communications issue.

7. If a hardwired connection works well, it is clearly not a Verizon issue unless the Verizon router wireless is not working.

8. If it is a wireless issue you need to isolate where the issue exists.

9. If it is a wireless issue attempt a connection to the Verizon wireless router without any other wireless extenders etc.

10. Post information on all your network hardware. Model numbers etc.

11. I hope my suggestions help. Without any logical troubleshooting process this will go nowhere.

0 Likes
JasonD52
Enthusiast - Level 2

For Macs, download and install Broadband Tuner from Apple.  Here's a link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/broadbandtuner10.html

From Apple's description: "The Broadband Tuner allows you to take full advantage of very high speed FiOS based Internet connections that have a high latency."

Good luck.

0 Likes