24 Hours consistence test on network.
nss
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have issue with some Set Top Box  for TV programming that works using internet, and the Technical support of that company told me to contact my FIOS Internet company ( Verizon) and ask them to run a consistence test on my network.  This test will last 24 hours and will let them know if my connection goes up or down in that time. How can go about doing that. Is this a regular or needed test. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: 24 Hours consistence test on network.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just look at the router logs and they will tell you if the connection is dropping and reconnecting.

You could also test it yourself by running a ping test for 24 hour or so, for example do the following

start run cmd

in the command window enter

PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM /T >C:\PINGTEST.TXT

You won't see any result for the command as it is writing the resultant ping replies to the text file c:\pingtest.txt

leave the command window up for 24 hours and then hit ctrl/C  to stop the command

Edit the command in notepad and scroll thru it to see if the were any breaks in internet communication.

0 Likes
nss
Enthusiast - Level 2

Viafx999: Thanks. Sounds like a good plan for me. I will try doing as you suggested and see the outcome.

Since they claim that JUMP TV programming needs no more than 1 Mbps speed or even less  to function, it looks to me that my FIOS Internet speed has to drop below that speed for that TV programming to malfunction and starts blanking out and giving   annoying messages such as "Retrieving 0% ...."  on the TV screen while watching programs. BTW,  I have 10/2 Mbps  FIOS internet from Verizon.  Anybody else had experienced this before. Thanks for any inputs. nss

0 Likes
nss
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anybody else had experienced this FIOS speed issue before. My initial issue was:  Occasionally, my Internet based TV programming ( Via STB)  malfunctions and starts blanking out  giving   annoying messages such as "Retrieving 0% ...."  on the TV screen while watching programs.

I was told by the company who provides STB and TV prgramming that could  be because of FISO speed issue fluctuations.

Does Verizon Tech. Support monitor this forum so they can help us with feedback?

nss

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

Just look at the router logs and they will tell you if the connection is dropping and reconnecting.

You could also test it yourself by running a ping test for 24 hour or so, for example do the following

start run cmd

in the command window enter

PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM /T >C:\PINGTEST.TXT

Pretty nifty trick.  Smiley Happy  I've saved it for future reference.  One glitch:  If I used /T it wrote "BAD OPTION" in the txt file.  But at least it gave me a list of options to use that way.  Seems it likes -t better, though if I used /t it would take it as well.  Not sure if this is a quirk of my XP Pro (OEM) or what...

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

This test will send constant UDP traffic to google and they may not like it much, seeing a constant flood of UDP traffic from a single IP address . Could be viewed as a maleware attack.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

This test will send constant UDP traffic to google and they may not like it much, seeing a constant flood of UDP traffice from a single IP address . Could be viewed as a maleware attack.

Probably ought to use www.verizon.net instead.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes