2nd Router off Coax and moving router location
RavioliMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I will try to be descriptive as much as possible here and list my questions at the bottom.  Currently helping out my older neighbors. 

They have an Actiontec MI424WR plugged in their attic via coax.  Unfortunately they do not get WiFi in their basement and I am unable to run ethernet down the house.  I purchased a Quantum Gateway (G1100) that I was hoping to make use of as an additional device in the basement.  My thoughts was to use both to ensure maximum coverage in the house.

A couple questions for the more wise:

1. Can the router be plugged in anywhere there is Coax? So could I move hte Actionec MI424WR that is currently in the attic to an empty Coax connection in the living room? What is the setup involved (if any)?

2. Is it possible to run both the MI424WR and G1100 together? Again, what setup is involved?

3. I purchased the G1100 off Craigslist (it was not stolen, I got a copy of the bill). Do I need to call Verizon to authenticate it?

4. Is there a minimum signal strength required off the Coax to be plugged into a modem? I do not know how many splits there are in the wall. Am I able to test strength via a box? Currently the have QIP7100 2 Motorola boxes.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: 2nd Router off Coax and moving router location
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can not use two routers via coax.

any way to move router to be more central in the house?

otherwise, will need to purchase a moca extender.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As CRobGauth stated, you could save yourself a headache and get the Network Extender: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/

OR, if you are feeling adventerous, I have a step by step guide to convert the actiontec router to a network extender. Here you go: https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html

If you did want to go this route, please do post any questions you have here Smiley Happy

0 Likes
RavioliMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Am I able to move the router to any Coax plugin? Do I have to call Verizon to rest the box? 

Can I use my newly purchased G1100?

0 Likes
RavioliMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

@JustinG wrote:

As CRobGauth stated, you could save yourself a headache and get the Network Extender: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/

OR, if you are feeling adventerous, I have a step by step guide to convert the actiontec router to a network extender. Here you go: https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html

If you did want to go this route, please do post any questions you have here Smiley Happy

Justin thanks for the link!! To make sure I understand this correctly:

- I can swap my current Actiontec with my G1100 as the main device. Then use the Actiontec as a bridge plugged into the Coax?

im still confused to the setup of getting my G1100 up and running.  Can I use any Coax? There are a bunch coming through the house but they don't know what is coming off splitters. Is there a signal strength I need to be keeping an eye for. 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can make the G1100 the main router.

Basically the process should be pretty simple to make it the primary router, just unplug the old Actiontec, then plug in all the cables exactly as they were into the new G1100. 

Once you configure your old Actiontec as a bridge per my instructions, you won't have to change anything on the primary G1100. Just plug the Actiontec into any coax outlet in the house and it should connect. Signal strength shouldn't be too much of a concern, unless its really awful. As long as all your coax connects centrally somewhere, you should be fine. 

And as a plus, if you have any other locations that need a coax bridge, you can order the Actiontecs off ebay for pretty cheap ($20 and under) and get yourself some cheap MoCA bridges! 

0 Likes
RavioliMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks JustinG! Just to confirm though... I can move locations of the primary router - correct? As long as the Coax is active it does not matter which cable has the primary router?

Thanks,
Marc

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct.

One thing to do though.

Before you disconnect the old rotuer, log in to it and release WAN IP address.

Otherwise, it can take the new router a couple of hours to get a new one.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct. 

Just be sure to confirm though, on your current primary router (I assume the Aciontec), it dosen't have an Ethernet cable going into the white WAN port on the back, does it? If so, the router may be setup to get internet access via the ethernet cable, and you might not be able to move it. 

If there is nothing plugged into the white WAN port on the back, then your fine, you can move it anywhere you want. 

0 Likes
RavioliMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

Correct.

One thing to do though.

Before you disconnect the old rotuer, log in to it and release WAN IP address.

Otherwise, it can take the new router a couple of hours to get a new one.

Thanks CRobGauth to you as well. I guess this should be my final three questions.

1) I am not by the router, does anyone have screenshots or instructions to release WAN IP Address?

2) Is there any setup involved with the G1100? What is the general boot time?

3) When I use the actiontec as a bridge, are all ethernet ports usable?

Thanks!

RavioliMan

Thanks,
Marc

0 Likes