30-second survey scam (phishing attack)
RichGreen1

While using Firefox.

Pop up:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Verizon FiOS User,

Your computer (IP address: xxx.xx.xxx.xx) has been selected to participate in an anonymous survey about your experiences with Verizon FiOS.

At the end of the short 30-second survey, you will be presented with several exclusive reward offers (worth at least $70) for providing us with valuable feedback.

Continue

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Background page title:

2015 Verison FiOS Opinion Survey - Windows & Firefox Users - Sunday, April 5, 2015

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 30-second survey scam (phishing attack)
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

This is not us sending this to you, especially in a pop up format

I also noticed the misspelling of Verizon at the bottom.  Any time you get these and there is any indication of misspelling, it's going to be a scam.

~Jess

View solution in original post

Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

This is not us sending this to you, especially in a pop up format

I also noticed the misspelling of Verizon at the bottom.  Any time you get these and there is any indication of misspelling, it's going to be a scam.

~Jess

RichGreen1

Thanks.  I had recognized that it was a scam immediately and wanted to alert others, so I posted the message.  The important point here is that this did not come through email, but rather simply appeared when I was browsing in Firefox.

0 Likes
jc11676

I have seen this twice from within Chrome and also on my Windows Phone in Internet Explorer. Whatever it is, it CAN'T be a virus. WP 8.1 as far as I know isn't capable of getting a virus. My computer I keep clean as well. I work in I.T. and we keep virus infected PC's we are cleaning on a separate VLAN passing out through a separate ISP.

What I can say: My phone was on the same data LAN as my work computer, going out the same public IP that this 'Survey' was showing out as. 

I grabbed a screenshot. See below:

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had that myself.

It is a browser hijack (or the like).

When you follow it through, it is in fact not sponsored or run by Verizon.

0 Likes
jc11676

I've had something similar to the above happen to me now on two different devices, in two different browsers. Windows Phone 8.1 (IE), Windows 8.1 tablet (brand new from a few days ago - literally almost nothing installed onto it) using IE, Windows 7 desktop using Chrome. The desktop doesn't use wifi, so it isn't a rogue wifi AP trying to spoof ours... 

Have there been any unconfirmed cases of FiOS circuits being 'hijacked' up the fiber? I'm in a business / residential area, so I'm just curious if something else could have happened. This is really getting old though.

In any case of the above, all three devices use Bing as the search engine, but I've only seen the issue when going direct to a specific website (YouTube, MyFitnessPal, etc... and the wifi devices uses a separate DNS server than our ethernet connected devices).

Getting irritated. I've already scanned my devices, run 'netstat -bano', pulled Wireshark PCAP traces from our firewall and my devices and see nothing out of the ordinary when going to a website on anything that I have access to as the I.T. administrator here.

0 Likes
glamag

so, what should you do in order not to get thei pop up message anymore?

0 Likes
dpbrew

Got one today. Seemed valid till the request for my credit card. I'm a winner , but I have to pay $1-5 whatever that is. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes