3rd Party Router DIR-825
Stillgate
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I ordered my Verizon 100/100 internet service, I told the Agent that I had my own Router (D-Link Xtreme N Dual-Band Gigabit Router DIR-825.) Well the installer came by and ignored my request and installed the Verizon Router. When I walked back into the room, he already had connected the Verizon router and ignored my Router sitting on the table. I told him I had my own router, he said I could use it and all i had to do was return the Verizon Router. I've read (in the forums) people working with the tech to install their 3rd Party Router. Well he left and I returned to connect my router. And ofcourse it doesnt work. 

Do i need to contact Verizon Tech Support and tell them I need the ONT to accept a new router? Or can I get access by just changing some Router settings? 

0 Likes
Re: 3rd Party Router DIR-825
pl626
Contributor - Level 1

Did you release the IP before you swapped routers?  If not, you may want to put the V* router back, then release the IP, then disconnect.  You may even need to wait for two hours or so before plugging your D-Link in as it's MAC is different from the V* router, which may have a lock on the IP that was assigned.

If you don't have FIOS TV, you won't need the V* router.  If you do, you'll need to setup the V* router as a MOCA bridge behind your router.

Stillgate
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, i dont have FIOS TV.. Just Internet.. Thank you

0 Likes
Stillgate
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm assuming this all could have been avoided if he just connected my router instead lol

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe they are under no obligation to work with customer equipment.

By using the Verizon router, he can prove his part is working.

Suppose he connected your router and it didn't work?

How can he troubleshoot equipment he probably has no knowledge of?

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No worries, you simply need to release the DHCP lease from your current Verizon router. 

Login to the router at http://192.168.1.1 with the username and password printed on the side. Follow these steps:

1Click on the My Network icon at the top.
2Click Network Connections from the menu on the left.
3Click Broadband Connection
4Click Settings
5Scroll down and click Release under DHCP Lease
6Click Apply
7Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

After you have performed those steps connect your new router to the ethernet cable, and check for connectiviity. 

Stillgate
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I still have a problem after releasing the DHCP with my DIR-825.. Can i just reinstall the Verizon router and call Tech Support to re-establish connect?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately Verizon is extremely reluctant to help users switch to using their own routers, so talking to tech support won't get you very far. 

After releasing the lease, have you waited 2 or so hours and then plugged in your router? Also, just to re-confirm, there is no coax wire going into the Verizon router, just an Ethernet cable, correct?

0 Likes