5% packet loss for a week now
JavaJeff
Enthusiast - Level 1

The past week or so I've experieced 5% packet loss, which is causing all sorts of glitches in games. This behavior has persisted, despite resetting the FiOS modem a couple of times. Here's a screenshot of PingPlotter running pings every 2.5s to 4.2.2.1 (Level 3 DNS server). You can see the pkt loss is bad, and there is significant jitter. 

The hops along the way show that the biggest offender is "lo0-100.washdc-vfttp-316.verizon-gni.net" - some piece of FiOS equipment, I am presuming by the name. Anyone else in the Germantown MD area have trouble? Not sure how to get this resolved. I guess call in CS and wait in the queue like everyone else.  😞

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5% packet loss for a week now
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just as a comparison, here's the PingPlotter (5.5.4.3687) graph that I get. I think we are geographically & network topographically (made the word up) close, so this is probably valid.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As discussed in the past. those middle hops with packet loss mean absolutely nothing.  The servers in question are set to respond at very low priority to the Pings envolved.

There is something strange in your getting slow response to 192.168.1.1 (i.e. your own router).  These are usually <1 ms response and no packet loss.

JavaJeff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of the response priority issue, so that's a good data point. These pings were done over the WiFi (albeit within a couple of feet of the router). My next step will be to plug directly into the Ethernet and see what happens.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just as a comparison, here's the PingPlotter (5.5.4.3687) graph that I get. I think we are geographically & network topographically (made the word up) close, so this is probably valid.