50/25 plan does only shows 50/5 on internet speed test sites
MisterT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Previously I had the 25/15 plan.  On speakeasy.net it would show 25/15.

I upgraded to 50/25 plan.  On speakeasy.net i get 50/5.   Yes, on the verizon speed test I get 50/25, but all other speed tests show 50/5.

Very strange.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: 50/25 plan does only shows 50/5 on internet speed test sites
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There could be a problem with their upload test. Are you still getting the slowdown from the site? Is the testing server location pretty close to where you actually are? There are many other speed test websites to check as well. www.speedtest.org or http://myspeed.visualware.com  .

MisterT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your reply.

Here are the results from those sites you mentioned.

Speedtest.org:  54 / 0.7

MySpeed.Visualware.com:  55 / 37

So the last site did show the speeds that Version says I should have.  It still makes me wonder what is different that the other speedtest sites only show an Upload speed of 5.   If there is a technology difference with Verizon, then am I getting a slower upload speed with sites that do not have the same technology?

By the way,  a Verizon tech came out today and updated all the FIOS components and router to the latest versions.  Still getting the same upload speed of 5 on some sites.

Thanks for any ideas,

Tom

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The new Verizon Ookla site is using an updated client which is able to properly handle the high uploads on

FiOS...speedtest.net and competing sites have not been updated as of yet,

MisterT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Hubrisxs,

Thanks for your reply.

What is frustrating is that these 'speedtest' sites properly register the 50 download.  So, why would they have a problem with 25 upload, and why would they register just an upload of 5?

It makes one think that whatever is causing this is also preventing uploads to other sites from being more than 5.

When the FIOS tech replaced the router today, I showed him this problem.   He called a supervisor.  The supervisor had no idea what was causing this.

thanks

Tom

0 Likes
nwaves
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have 15/5 and used to get only 15/1.5. Changing the MTU to 1492 from 1500 made my upload go to 4.5. Using a DIR-655 as my primary router by the way.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Upload speed is a premium. It is extremely common to have any provided give someone a high download speed and a low upload speed. This being said, when tests are being run they are not expecting a high upload speed. I can't say specifically why they don't test correctly because I do not know their specific equipment or configuration.

MisterT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anthony,

Thanks for your reply.

My previous FIOS internet plan was 25/15.  I could go to speakeasy.net and get 25/15.  This is what makes me think that the 50/25 I am on now has a different technology that is not recognized by speakeasy.net and probably many other sites.

I have had a verizon tech connect do a GoToAssist and see this, and a verizon tech has come on site and upgraded the outside equipment and router.   How can I escalate this issue at verizon?

Thanks

Tom

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

What's to escalate at verizon?  it's a problem with the other sites?  They are already aware that they need to update their ookla client's.  

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

For speedtest.net, It varies by which host you test against.  Many will now test speeds upto 35 without a problem, but a year or two ago they would never get above 5.  As mentioned, few sites can probaly handle and properly report upload speeds of 65,