Re: 50/25 plan does only shows 50/5 on internet speed test sites
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try an NDT Test. Most of the servers can do at least 100Mbps. A bunch will handle Gigabit if you have a fat enough pipe. Use the below server. It's on Gigabit and tests Gigabit, but I'm not on a Gigabit port at the moment to check. I'm on 100Mbps, but here's some proof.

http://web100.rit.edu:7123/ (THIS REQUIRES JAVA SUPPORT).

You might be seeing an issue with the send buffer on your system or browser (I know Firefox has an independant setting in about:config), or a setting with TCP/IP such as Path MTU discovery that is causing issues. Speedtest.net is an iffy site to test at since they are Internet community contributed servers and each may be tuned differently. Technically, if you tell Speedtest.net that you have a server up and it qualifies with a certain pipe, they'll put it up. I've seen servers at speedtest.net running on T1 connections that can't do more than 1.5Mbps in either direction which makes them useless for anything but localized testing (or on-network testing if it was set up for a local purpose).

I am considering one of these days writing a Java test that pegs the upload using a single stream and multi-stream with both TCP and UDP for a duration for higher speed fiber connections. I have a fast server that is on Gigabit in a datacenter with Unmetered bandwidth in Chicago with some pretty good connectivity, so it might be something worthwhile to run. Public (and fast) FTP sites are tough to come across and generating 10GB files is a chore unless you have a program to make them out of garbage data.

MisterT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Smith,

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Here are the results of the test:

Thanks

Tom

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks. Just waiting for a moderator to approve the attachment. I'll check back later.

0 Likes