5G question
DLoeffler
Enthusiast - Level 2

So the Fios coax comes in through the wall.  The coax goes into a splitter.  The left side runs to the TV which works great.  The right side runs to the brand new Quantum Gateway router which also works great.

The router transmits a 2G and a 5G wifi signal, and both signals are strong.   So far so good.   Upstairs, I've installed a Netgear wifi extender,  but the extender doesn't seem to be getting the 5g signal.  It's able to accept 5G but the 5G light doesn't light up, and the 5g band doesn't appear in the extender's interface.

Here's my theory:  Let's go back to the splitter where the signal enters the room.  The splitter says it's able to handle 2.4g.   So if only 2.4g is entering the router, does that mean that I really don't have 5g?  Could this be the reason that the extender doesn't see 5g?

And is it possible to get a coax splitter that CAN handle 5g?

Or is the splitter completely irrelevant?

0 Likes
Re: 5G question
jonjones1
Legend

I use a Netgear extender for outside. What is happening is you must first reset it back to factory. (Extender) then the instructions say to pair it with your router. The instructions make it easy to set up.

it will mirror the 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands. In the Netgears case it showed up as 2.4_ext and 5_ext which can be used as an extension to the router.

now I use a Netgear router (Nighthawk R8500) so my setup was easy.

verizon sells an extender which I read is as seamless as the Netgear with a Netgear.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes splitter is irrelevant. The rating on the splitter is the RF rating for the frequencies traveling through for your STB and MOCA  devices. The router itself is the source of the wireless 2.4 and 5 GHz broadcast. 

DLoeffler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I thought the factory reset would help, but it didn't.  My extender still doesn't see the 5G network.  I did a factory reset.  I tried reinstalling using both the Genie method and the WPS button.  All results are the same.  Only the 2.4G icon lights up on the extender.

I do see a network called ***_5ext and I can conect to it.  But the 5G light won't light up on the extender, so I don't know if the network is actually 5G.

The router is brand new (Verizon quantum gateway) and it definitely has a 5G network, but the extender can't see it.  Tried several times.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks again.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@DLoeffler wrote:

Thanks.  I thought the factory reset would help, but it didn't.  My extender still doesn't see the 5G network.  I did a factory reset.  I tried reinstalling using both the Genie method and the WPS button.  All results are the same.  Only the 2.4G icon lights up on the extender.

I do see a network called ***_5ext and I can conect to it.  But the 5G light won't light up on the extender, so I don't know if the network is actually 5G.

The router is brand new (Verizon quantum gateway) and it definitely has a 5G network, but the extender can't see it.  Tried several times.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks again.

That network with the _5ext is a 5 Ghz network. I would recommend you use a Netgear router (I use the Netgear Nighthawk R8500) and my extender works flawlessly.

however as I stated in my first reply the Netgear extender is shown to work with any router. So if you see the 5 Ghz it’s what it should be.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you connect to the _5ext network can you actually get out to the internet? How is the G1100 coverage in the room that the extender is in?

One thing I find sometimes when someone sets up an extender is that its placed too far from the router. For example if the router is on one side of the house and the extender is on the other. It's not helping as much as if it was placed somewhere in the middle. The extender has to be getting good wifi from the router to be effective. Try temporarily moving it closer to the router to see if the 5G lights up. 

0 Likes
DLoeffler
Enthusiast - Level 2

The 5G won't light up even when the extender is in the same room.   I think I'll have to just live with it.   

Thanks for your advice!

0 Likes
DLoeffler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  Maybe it's working fine although the 5G won't light up.  Maybe it's just a bad bulb.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@DLoeffler wrote:

Thanks.  Maybe it's working fine although the 5G won't light up.  Maybe it's just a bad bulb.

The Netgear extenders green lights are showing full capacity (connectivity) when you move them within their range. On mine there are arrows that make you move left or right and turn green when optimal. However if the lights are yellow or white it does not mean there is not a connection just a strained one. Reception is best when within optimal range.

0 Likes
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

I have an actiontec extender and I have to enable the 5g in the extender interface itself

0 Likes