5GHz wifi problem
Lolaaway

I've run into this extremely weird and annoying problem, I'm able to connect to the internet perfectly using 2.4GHz but when I try to connect using 5GHz it says "no internet connection" (I'm on windows)? However, this is fixed for about an hour when switching the wifi channel from auto to some random channel. After the hour elapses my 5GHz wifi gets the "no internet connection" message displayed. This is extremely aggravating, and would appreciate anyone who can help. I've searched online to see if anyone has the same issue and it turns out I'm (apparently) the only one.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5GHz wifi problem
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it only one device?

I use g1100 router.

Yes, its WiFi coverage is not the best, but if connected, I can surf with no issues.

When you have issue, run ipconfig command on PC to see  what it shows for DNS.

Can you ping router when in this condition.

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
Hope this clarifies things for you. Unfortunately this is the reality of the "Physics" https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-range-of-the-Wifi-in-5Ghz-and-2-4GHZ
Lolaaway1

Thanks, TomH309 for the link. However this is not the problem And I think I understand how physics works. My PC states the following. 

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (primary DNS server) is not responding

Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) 

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server). The computer or service you are trying to reach might be temporarily unavailable."

I have multiple devices in the same room, and even have some further away.

P.S I had to make a new account because apparently "Lolaaway" doesnt exist.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Possible bad router if using verizons Quantum router G1100 it’s known to have crappy WiFi. Secondly bad device such as your windows 10 having a bad WiFi radio. Or bad setup. Trust me you are not the only one to have the issue.

normally having a router on Auto is the proper way to go. Some people use a WiFi analyzer to find the best channel. However in most cases WiFi can go off or on as Tom was referring to as physics. As in any device be it routers, servers, computers in general or personal laptops or tablets etc. the distance, the devices, the building materials the neighbors or even the wiring in your home can knock a WiFi signal to nothing.

either replace the router with another one and see if it still occurs, or replace with a test router from a friend or third party vendor. If the WiFi issue clears up then you know it’s that crappy Quantum router.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it only one device?

I use g1100 router.

Yes, its WiFi coverage is not the best, but if connected, I can surf with no issues.

When you have issue, run ipconfig command on PC to see  what it shows for DNS.

Can you ping router when in this condition.