5ghz connects but internet doesn’t work
Tron135

I have the quantum gateway. I can connect to the 5ghz but the internet wont work on it. It started about 3 weeks ago. Verizon sent me a replacement, and it worked for a few days then issue popped up again. A tech came out and replaced it and it worked fine again for about 2 weeks til it stopped working again yesterday. So same issue with 3 separate routers. 

Ive seen other posts saying get a new 3rd party router. Is that possible with the Fios TV One with 3 boxes running on wifi?

0 Likes
Re: 5ghz connects but internet doesn’t work
jonjones1
Legend

@Tron135 wrote:

I have the quantum gateway. I can connect to the 5ghz but the internet wont work on it. It started about 3 weeks ago. Verizon sent me a replacement, and it worked for a few days then issue popped up again. A tech came out and replaced it and it worked fine again for about 2 weeks til it stopped working again yesterday. So same issue with 3 separate routers. 

Ive seen other posts saying get a new 3rd party router. Is that possible with the Fios TV One with 3 boxes running on wifi?

Unfortunately no. You must have the quantum to use the fios one boxes. However a solution maybe to simply get another router to use in AP mode for your wifi and turn off the Quantum routers wifi. This way all should be ok.

0 Likes
Tron135

Are there any solutions that dont require me to purchase new equipment

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Not that i can think of. Possibly someone else has another solution other than keep replacing the fios Quantum Gateway Router.

0 Likes
Tron135

Is this a common issue? I read a bunch of people having issues with the 5ghz network dropping. But my devices connect and stay connected, but the internet doesn’t connect. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Tron135 wrote:

Is this a common issue? I read a bunch of people having issues with the 5ghz network dropping. But my devices connect and stay connected, but the internet doesn’t connect. 

It is for the greenwave fios Quantum Gateway Router. If you read around it has decent direct connection but the wifi is terrible. I would just bite the bullet and get another additional router and place in access point mode. The wifi will not drop and you get to keep your set top boxes. Without tv you can get better with your own router and save $144 a year on router rental fees. Just by having internet only and you get to return all the higher tv and phone taxes and bogus surcharges which really increase your bill each month.

0 Likes
Tron135

I already dont pay for the quantum gateway. 

So if i got a wireless access point like a nighthawk of some sort and turn off the wifi on the quantum gateway, my fios tv one boxes will still work, correct?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

FiOS One boxes will only connect to FIOS routers and extenders.

But you can use a wireless access point to connect all other devices on a separate network and leave the STBs to connect to the Quantum router.

jonjones1
Legend

@Tron135 wrote:

I already dont pay for the quantum gateway. 

So if i got a wireless access point like a nighthawk of some sort and turn off the wifi on the quantum gateway, my fios tv one boxes will still work, correct?

The access point is for connecting to your home network. I was not aware you had the new set top box. However i have a much cheaper alternative. Simply get the router, and drop fios tv and get a streaming service which is cheaper. You knock out taxes and fees on the tv (tv and phone are the real costs to your service) and the bogus surcharges. This way you dont pay for tv boxes and still have tv via streaming and you save tons of money.  And your new netgear will have fantastic range and your devices will love you for it.

0 Likes
JHBailey

I have this issue too — very frustrating

0 Likes