65mbps via 802.11N?
PeteWalker74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Howdy folks.  Bit of a stumper for me, and I was hoping some of you seasoned FIOS vets could assist me.

I've been a FIOS internet user since June, and now that I have some time, I'm really trying to optimize my setup.  I have the Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 Rev F with firmware 20.10.7.5.  I set it to "performance mode" (i.e. N wireless) and I am not seeing the reported connection speed to my PC move above 65 mbps.  Shouldn't I see it jump to at least 100 mbps, if not 150ish?

My setup - There is only one wall between where I have my PC, and where the router is setup (from living room to garage - I have a ranch-style home), and it gets an excellent signal.  The NIC I'm using on my PC is a Medialink MWN-USB150N.

Is this a configuration issue with Windows 7?

Do I have to "boot off" other wireless devices in memory, so the router can kick it up to N speeds? (I'm at work, so this isn't the case now since everything is off)

Is the NIC to blame?  Perhaps the device type or settings within it?

Do I have to alter other settings within the router to take full advantage of wireless N?

Does the security I'm using (WEP, but I have no problem changing it to WPA2) play a role in this?

I ask all this because I want to setup a bridge in my living room, and from that physically connect to all my devices there, including my PC, gaming consoles, DVR, NAS, Roku, etc.  I also want to setup bridges in 1-2 bedrooms, and connect those to DVRs and media players.  This is the reason I want the full horsepower of the wireless N, is to be able to stream movies (incl. blu-ray) from my setup in the living room, to the bedrooms.  I say all this in case someone wants to comment "wireless G is fine" when it isn't for my purposes 🙂  I hope you understand why I felt it vital to add that in.

Other questions I'd like answered if you guys have the time/desire:

Any specific wireless N bridge and wireless N NIC (perhaps a specific combo) you guys would recommend that would work well with the Actiontec, preferably based on personal experience?  Once I get a bridge setup in the living room (where my PC is currently) I'm be connecting wired to the switch connected to the bridge, and repurpose that Medialink NIC to an Asus O!Play I have in my daughter's room.

I'd rather not purchase a new wireless N router, but if there's someone using a setup similar to mine, and has replaced their Actiontec router with something else, please do let me know.  I don't want to stick with this Actiontec if I could spend some money and get a MUCH better experience.

Thank you SO much for all your help guys!  I really appreciate it, and intend on getting more involved in this community!

Re: 65mbps via 802.11N?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
The last I checked, the Rev. F was not capable of doing anything more than 65Mbps Theoretical on the wireless due to the fact that the wireless chipset does not support it. Basically, non-MIMO plus it was not certified for Wireless N. The Rev. G is capable of true N speeds, along with the new Rev. H (not seen yet) ActionTec.
PeteWalker74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smith: Thank you.  Should I request a replacement router from Verizon?  If so, how would you recommend I go about it?  Is there a particular number and/or department I should speak with?  Seems rather wonky that in the router config it specifically states N, yet doesn't have the required tech to actually support it.  Verizon told me specifically that I'd get a Wireless N router as part of the install, and now I feel rather jipped.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16589

There isn't any good way to go about getting a better router, unfortunately. I would just go buy a good wireless n upgrade router. Trendnet makes a great one and its pretty cheap

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@PeteWalker74 wrote:

Do I have to "boot off" other wireless devices in memory, so the router can kick it up to N speeds?

Not sure what you mean by "in memory".  If you mix G and N devices on a single radio G/N router (such as the rev. F), the wireless will operate at the lowest compatible speed (I.e.. G).  If you set the wireless for N only, it will operate at the higher speed, but of course, your G devices will not connect.  This doesn't apply to dual radio routers (the rev. F is not a dual radio router).

almaher

I have the revision F too and it does max of 65, would a firmware update help?

0 Likes
PeteWalker74
Enthusiast - Level 2

As Smith6612 stated above, this router cannot do true N speeds.  We'd need the newer revision of the router, not just a simple firmware upgrade.  I'm going to speak to Verizon about it, since I was promised an N router, as part of my subscription.  Yes, it will let me max out my connection speed from me to the internet, but that wasn't why I was asking (I could have done that with a G router).  I asked because I wanted fast INTERNAL communication.  If I get anywhere with them, I'll be sure to post something.

mazdaboi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I dont believe the router replacement is the deal. i upgraded from the G router which i was daisy chaining a gigait router off it for N speed and the Gigabit wired ports for my desktop. When i went to the N Actiontec router it was N with gigabit ports so i could downsize the network complexity. 

Im on the 50/25 quantum. thats 50Mbps (megabits)

Wireless on a crappy tenda usb N stick im getting the same 65Mbps (megabits) still faster then what my overall speed is

All of my devices are on 65N (no idea why either)  and i have NO "G" band devices in the house everything is 150N of faster

So side by side comparison. My desktop which is 1 floor away (downstairs) on wifi @ 65Mbps with 5ms Ping gets 3.91Mbps DN and 21.03Mbps UP   (WOW CRAPPY) still able to play games and surf net with no issues.

Now the MacbookPro is right next to it. same distance away and gets 57.97Mbps DN and 38.48Mbps UP.  WOW right?!? 

Here is my thought.  The tenda is a basic wifi card at Half-duplex wifi (most of the inexpensive cards now adays are. the MacbookPro has a dual band, full duplex card.   hence the better range, connection and speed.

My thought would be this.  Im walking distance around 50ft and physically 15-20ft (to get to this room where im doing the testing)  If i get great speeds on everything besides this desktop... ITS THE WIFI card.  Now alot of you probabbly first started reading this and thought the same thing. But i guess you do get what you pay for and not all wifi cards are the same (DUH).  So im off to get a PCIe 1x dual or tripple antenna wifi card with MIMO. so i can ensure i have a faster and stronger card then i currently have.

Other than that. if im still gettng joke speeds.  Time to run this 100ft CAT6 cable and break open some walls.

(reason why i dont put the router in the basement, all our devices are being used on the first floor besides my desktop, so no since re-positioning the router to the basement and loose quality of service on the first floor)

Good stuff. Nice information!