7-11 Slow Download Speeds
rextilleon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Very frustrating.  Every night between 7-11 my download speeds on my 75/75 plan slow to a crawl.  After several calls to Verizon tech, still the same problem.  We have determined  that there are no issues on my end, so I can only assume its on Verizons.  The interesting thing is that my upload speed remain perfect during the evening hours. 

0 Likes
Re: 7-11 Slow Download Speeds
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, We noticed that you posted the same question on DSL reports and have replied to you there as well. We would love to help and resolve this issue for you. I understand that it happens between those hours and it can be difficult to isolate that type of issue. When it does slow down, have you ran a speed test or a trace route to see if any packets are lost?

-GKC

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I have the same issue, however, only the upload speed is usually affected.  My speed should be 50/50 and it recently tested at 50/1 .  A few times, download speed will slow down a bit to around 35, but upload is primarily affected and is reuglarly below 15 at night during those times.

0 Likes
rextilleon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes.  I run the speed tests thats how I came up with a loss of at least half of my download speed.   Haven't run a traceroute test yet.  How do I go about doing that.  By the way, when I run the speed test off another location other then NYC, the speeds are normal. 

0 Likes
patrick58d

I have the exact same problem. I have the 50/50 plan and during the hours of roughly 7-11pm my internet download speed goes to 5mbps, but upload speed remains more or less the same. 

0 Likes
rextilleon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes.  This appears to be a common problem.  They are going to run some tests tomorrow during the slowdown hours and I will get back to you as soon as I have new information. 

0 Likes
Baltar1

I'm experiencing the same issue as the OP.  My speed is supposed to be 75/75.  When FiOS is working normally it speedtests to 84/91.  During evening peak hours (usually around 7-11, sometimes 8-12 or thereabouts), it decreases to 5/91.  Pinging google.com 100 times shows me 4% packet loss.  Pingtest.net shows me high pings and high jitter.

Things I've tried (and have failed to resolve the issue):

Releasing and renewing my IP address

Unplugging my router for 15 seconds, then turning it back on

Unplugging my ONT and disconnecting the battery, then plugging it back in and turning it back on

Switch from automatic DNS to OpenDNS, run connection tests, then back to automatic DNS

Every night since at least the 17th, possibly farther back and I didn't notice it.

0 Likes
rextilleon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, more and more people are reporting this problem. It might help if you contact verizon technical support and register your complaint.  The more people who report, the more likely hood that we will get a fix. 

0 Likes
_Auron_
Enthusiast - Level 1

I myself was going to call Verizon customer service today after work about my speeds. I've been testing with the verizon speed tester and speedtest.net, and I get 5/25 on both when I'm paying for 75/75. I haven't even been on my computer for almost 2 weeks (so absorbed with Destiny on 360 lately) so I didn't quite notice, but it might explain why my connection keeps dropping. Some website connections time out or act as if I'm not connected to the internet, with no noticeable signal drops from the computer (or smartphone, as well), and I also have dropped ping requests to google.com.

Don't remember what time I tested the past two days but this is certainly aggravating. And I do not use Netflix either, so if this is part of the netflix throttling I have no idea why I'd be affected unless the network is being -that- bogged down by netflix users (yet I've never had problems like this before in the past year).

0 Likes
rextilleon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you know which server you are connecting to for your speed test?

0 Likes