Re: 7-11 Slow Download Speeds
Headhunter06
Enthusiast - Level 3

So we go from way more than 75 just prior to prime time to this (below) at 8:45PM. (Note that this is double the speed I was getting at this time last night. Wheeee!!!

Network Diagnostic Test

The Network Diagnostic Tool results below will be used by our Verizon Technical Support Team to review your computer settings.

Analysis information:

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 35.65Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 4.22Mb/s

------  Client System Details  ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.8.0_31

------  Web100 Detailed Analysis  ------
100 Mbps FastEthernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 24.85 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
There were 101 packets retransmitted, 801 duplicate acks received, and 865 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
S2C throughput test: Packet queuing detected: 81.69%
This connection is sender limited 25.75% of the time.
This connection is network limited 72.81% of the time.
0 Likes
CMDuser

new user here.

Started seeing this issue in Manhattan, NY as of 1/26, exactly a week ago.

My service , for a bit last week, was interrupted daylong. I attributed it to the NE blizzard storm.  It gradually got better, but never really recovered. What made me think it was more than broken fiber optic cables is that \service sucks after 4pm until midnight BUT only for connecting with certain servers , for example APP.BILL.COM

(I run a business , and we make most payments with Bill.com, a wonderful SaaS plaftorm for making e-checks)

In other words, most internet services work fine (yes, including NETFLIX and YOUTUBE)  but they ones that are not like bill.com ..... are literally broken. I am not sure if Verizon blacklisted certain servers / connections, but here is what I get when I try to ping the Bill.com server in CA anytime between 4 and 1am EST (See below image)

I am one of a handful of customers reporting this type of issue to bill.com out of NYC.

I have also run speedtests and every time I set my location to a SF bay area server, I get download speeds in the low 4's for downloads, and 20+ for uploads, even though i am on the 50/50 plan.

THIS IS BEYOND THROTTLING, THIS IS OUTRIGHT SABOTAGE!

0 Likes
CMDuser

point to be made:  The likely reason youtube works as well as it does for me (@ NYC) it because GOOGLE has a gigantic fiber optic cable on the corner of its offices at 14st and 8ave, where youtube is also located.  One of my friends is an engineer at GOOG and he said 33% of city internet traffic goes thru the fiber optic cable at the old port authority building (now owned by google).

This story seems backed up by the route of traffic per trace below. Note how verizon server times out, but signal is "rescued" so to speak by google servers.

0 Likes
Not applicable

just because it's timing out it doesn't mean something is wrong, some nodes automatically decline ping requests by default, as long as you're getting to your destination without bad latency and or packet loss you're fine.

p.s that alter.net hop is beyond troublesome and is a nationwide issue for the people routing through it..

CMDuser

I don't necessarily disagree, although routing thru most of that network is giving out pings in the high 100s and over 200 in some cases.

0 Likes
Headhunter06
Enthusiast - Level 3

So far so good on Verizon fixingh things, eh?  Friday night at 10:35PM on a 75/75 that I am paying for:

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 38.56Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.59Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.8.0_31

No network congestion discovered.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 28.46 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
There were 67 packets retransmitted, 267 duplicate acks received, and 307 SACK blocks received
S2C throughput test: Packet queuing detected: 93.08%
This connection is receiver limited 2.90% of the time.
  Increasing the the client's receive buffer (17.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 11.34% of the time.
This connection is network limited 85.77% of the time.
Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch
0 Likes
Cfitzy84

So I have had this problem starting on 01/01/15. I have had a few techs come out to my home finally around mid January a tech finally called me and told me that he would not even come out to my house (I live in Northern VA) he knows the problem is with Verizon itself but they will NOT fix it because the problem costs to much money and his advise to me was to make as much complaints as I can until they fix it. It has now been over a month and still to no avail. So hopefully someone on corportate actually reads this and knows how much their business practices sucks. I wish I could cancel but I'm under contract 😞

0 Likes
Not applicable

file complaints with the FCC, that seems to be the only thing getting their attention.

look at that speed matching from last night 

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 94.56Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.59Mb/s

0 Likes
Cfitzy84

I just finished filing my FCC Complaint and all the screenshots of speedtests, traceroutes, etc. Hopefully this will help them get this problem fixed... I just want working internet when I come home from work 😞

0 Likes
Headhunter06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again to prove my point that this is a Verizon network issue and NOT an issue here in my house, see below. Its 1:40AM on Sunday morning (yeah, up a bit late). Note that download spped is just fine. But look a couple of comments above to my last post and you'll see that during prime time we are down to less than 5mb/s most of the time and often less than 2 mb/s. I just don't get that Verizon cannot seem to understand there is a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP. Its just mind boggeling.

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 51.61Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 75.97Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 8, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.2
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_21

No network congestion discovered.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 28.21 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and 
There were 1 packets retransmitted, 203 duplicate acks received, and 201 SACK blocks received
S2C throughput test: Packet queuing detected: 17.61%
This connection is receiver limited 15.98% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 82.74% of the time.
This connection is network limited 1.26% of the time.
0 Likes