Re: 7-11 Slow Download Speeds
Cfitzy84
Oh it's definitely not your house. As several techs and their own customer service reps in level 2 and 3 have confirmed that their network needs to be upgraded but they probably won't. In fact the rep I spoke with actually stated I might be better off getting a new provider... I said thanks for the honesty but they still won't let me out of my agreement and they also acknowledged they won't be upgrading it because it's too costly (that came from a tech scheduled to come out to my house) so I put in my FCC complaint and I got my credit for loss of service but not much more I can do.
0 Likes
Headhunter06
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think I'm going to have to try the FCC route too, as there does not seem to be any way to get Verizon to fix this issue. Simply unconcionable that I am paying for something and the company KNOWINGLY does not deliver. And they also KNOW that I have no other options for internet service (at least not good ones), and so they have absolutely no desire to fix the issue. Shameful, indeed.

0 Likes
bensel3
Enthusiast - Level 3
@Anonymous wrote:

just because it's timing out it doesn't mean something is wrong, some nodes automatically decline ping requests by default, as long as you're getting to your destination without bad latency and or packet loss you're fine.

p.s that alter.net hop is beyond troublesome and is a nationwide issue for the people routing through it..

p.p.s. ALTER.NET is still Verizon. They bought MCI (which owned/merged with Worldcom, that bought MFS, that bought UUNet which built the ALTER.NET backbone). It's just not out on the edge, but a backbone link.

0 Likes
Not applicable

stuck on the same boat guys they won't let me void my contract even though im not even recieving 1% of what im paying for after 7pm this is beyond fraustrating.

0 Likes
Headhunter06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmmm.... maybe Verizon has fixed things?  Have had several tests on my iPad (while propped up watching TV) and got 75+ for download speeds. This on a Friday night, which is often one of the worst internet speed nights. Fingers crossed that this sudden improvement in speed is true and not a mirage.

Speeds below were done with two kids also watching Netflix on an Apple TV, so 35-40 for this Network Test seem fairly reasonable. I sure hope this is a good sign.

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 38.48Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 39.31Mb/s

------  Client System Details  ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.8.0_31

------  Web100 Detailed Analysis  ------
100 Mbps FastEthernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 49.68 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 2.74% of the time
S2C throughput test: Packet queuing detected: 30.59%
This connection is receiver limited 12.91% of the time.
  Increasing the the client's receive buffer (255.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 86.15% of the time.
This connection is network limited 0.94% of the time.
0 Likes
Headhunter06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, we now have two nights in a row with good (indeed, great) speed here in Northern Virginia. The below is even in the midst of a mighty wind storm, over the house Wifi connection, AND with the kids using Netflix on their iPods.! This is hoping that my issue is now resolved. I'll keep checking over the coming days.

Harry7184

Happening to me in NY

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I signed up for this service a few years ago.
A company is paid by FCC to monitor and report on broadband.

As part of their monitoring, you get a monthly report on the state of your conenction.

Mine is generally good. May get one report a day (testing is hourly) of slow performance but the slwoest I have seen for the month of Jan is 28M (I have 50/50).

The way it works is that they put a rotuer on your site and it reports to them.

Go here if you want to participate:

https://www.samknows.com/consumer

0 Likes
Headhunter06
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still doing great here in Northern Virginia. Continuosly good speeds at all hours. Issue resolved. Thanks to all in the community who have been trying to make Verizon aware of the issue. Thanks to Verizon for fixing it. Much appreciated. It took a while to resolve, but it got done. And that is what matters!

0 Likes
slowisbad

This is happening in Northwestern Montgomery County MD too. When I check speed in the morning, it is great: getting about 90+ for both download and upload speeds when connected to ethernet. When checking speed on wifi, the speed is about 35/35. However, during the day time and especially during the weekend and night time, it is so slow. The speed test is giving me something below 5mbp for download (even with ethernet connection), and about 25 mbp for uploads. I just noticed this, so I don't know how long this has been going on. I hope they resolve this issue soon. I will be calling the customer service tomorrow to report the issue.

0 Likes