75/75 MBPS service has turned to 20/75 MBPS service
ultramet
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've noticed over the last month or so, that my 75/75 MBPS service has deteriorated to 20/75 MBPS.  I used to get 75/75 on wifi since I started using this faster service last Spring.  Now, EVEN DIRECTLY WIRED, I can't get anything faster than 20/75 MBPS.  I have been on the phone, with 3 Verizon technicians, and although they have been very pleasant, they haven't been very helpful (depsite multiple reboots, setting changes).  One technician even tried to blame my computer equipment, which hasn't changed in years.

Anyway, the issue has escalated to the point that they are planning to send a technician to my house.  The issue I have with this is I was informed that 1) they will test the internet connection using their "special" diagnostic laptop and 2) if there is a router that needs to be replaced I WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE NEW ROUTER.  This is a horrible blame the customer approach.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be actually slowing down my download speeds (Southern Manhattan, NYC)? My router is set to WPA2 encryption and my router is the original Actiontec router I received 6 years ago (I was informed that that router will reach speeds of up to 95 MBPS). At this point, I am so frustrated with Verizon that I am really on the verge of doing the unthinkable...switching back to TWC for more relaible download speeds.

0 Likes
Re: 75/75 MBPS service has turned to 20/75 MBPS service
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Are you using Verizon's speed test to measure your speeds?

http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

Are  you getting the same restults from more than one device connected to your router via Ethernet cable?

If the answers to both questions are yes, I would be optimistic that the Verizon tech will actually be able to see the slower speeds you're getting, find the cause, and correct it.

As for charging you for a replacement router.....I'm just another user but I doubt they'll charge you for a replacement if your existing router is indeed broken.  I hope you'll report back how that tech visit goes.

0 Likes
ultramet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, yes.  2 different Mac laptops and 1 PC (surface pro 3) device. Way the service deteriorated is beyond me.  At first, I though I was being "throttled" because my kids watch a ton of Netflix, but the assurred me that they are not doing this. So I am still here perplexed.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well....it sounds like a tech visit is indeed in order.  Hopefully it's coming up soon and that the tech will solve your problem.

Good luck!

P.S.

If you're in an apartment buliding, vs. a single family house, the system used to deliver FiOS to your router may be different that it is in a single home.  All the more reason to have a tech come and check it out.

0 Likes