75/75 Mbps FIOS with non-Verizon Router?
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

I'm upgrading from 50/50 Mbps to 75/75 Mbps. I have been using a TP-Link C1900 router and it works just fine on FIOS at 50/50 Mbps.

When I ordered the upgrade to 75/75, Verizon sent me a G1100 router, but I'd like to continue using my C1900 as it has faster wireless speed and my wireless devices are capable of using the faster speeds.  Is there anything special I'll need to do to activate the 75/75 service using the C1900?  Or, will I need to activate using the G1100, then switch over to the C1900 after releasing the IP address?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 75/75 Mbps FIOS with non-Verizon Router? - Success!!
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

This morning, 30 March, I logged into my non-Verizon router, shut-off the wireless radios, then released the IP address. Quickly disconnected my router Ethernet cable running to the ONT and shut it off. Then shutdown all of my Ethernet connected devices and disconnected them from the network.  

Waited about 45 minutes and reconnected the non-Verizon router to the ONT, turned on the router and waited for it to connect, then turned on my computer, logged into the router to see if it had a new IP address. It did.  Logged into Verizon and went to the Verizon Speed Test (https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/) and could see right away that I was probably connected with 75/75 as the meter showed up with a scale going to 150.  Ran the test and both download and upload were well into the 75/75 range.  Turned the wireless radios on the router back on and connected the rest of my network devices.  All is running just fine.

View solution in original post

Re: 75/75 Mbps FIOS with non-Verizon Router?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't even know if you need to actviate with G1100.

May want to check your bill to ensure they didn't bill you for the new rotuer.

They will try and persuade people to use their router as that is the only way they will provide support..

BTW, the new G1100 does have both 2.4 and 5G WiFi

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks.  I didn't think the G1100 had the full AC 1300 speed. 

I was assured by Verizon billing that the router was free. Haven't seen any charge for it on any of the invoices/bills that I've seen so far.  I do need to return it if I ever drop Verizon services.

The correspondence and directions that came with the package say I can activate the 75/75 service when I receive the package. So far I haven't been able to activate it.  It seems like the activation web pages might be looking for the G1100.

I released the IP from my router and shut everything down for an hour.  Then brought it all back up, but I'm still at the 50/50 service.  My invoice says that the new rates will go into effect on 30 March or whenever I activate the service.  Maybe I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow for it too work.

jonjones1
Legend

@Bob1692 wrote:

Thanks.  I didn't think the G1100 had the full AC 1300 speed. 

I was assured by Verizon billing that the router was free. Haven't seen any charge for it on any of the invoices/bills that I've seen so far.  I do need to return it if I ever drop Verizon services.

The correspondence and directions that came with the package say I can activate the 75/75 service when I receive the package. So far I haven't been able to activate it.  It seems like the activation web pages might be looking for the G1100.

I released the IP from my router and shut everything down for an hour.  Then brought it all back up, but I'm still at the 50/50 service.  My invoice says that the new rates will go into effect on 30 March or whenever I activate the service.  Maybe I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow for it too work.

There is another poster here that can tell you what I am going to say better.

first off you need to do a release and immediately unplug the router (Verizon one)

i have read if you unplug the Verizon router for two hours it will renew to a new IP address. Then place the Ethernet cable into your own customer supplied router.

at this juncture it should get up and running.

the problem with owner owned routers is that before you can connect one it is a good idea to do a complete factory reset on it. This way the router settings are not set and are fresh.

if it does get an address you can then check your provisioned speed.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

So far I've had no trouble releasing an IP address and obtaining a new one.

The first time I tried everything was disconnected and turned off for over two hours.  The second time I had a new address within an hour.  But, no change in speed yet.  Looks like I'll have to wait until to tomorrow.

Thanks for the hints.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

This morning, 30 March, I logged into my non-Verizon router, shut-off the wireless radios, then released the IP address. Quickly disconnected my router Ethernet cable running to the ONT and shut it off. Then shutdown all of my Ethernet connected devices and disconnected them from the network.  

Waited about 45 minutes and reconnected the non-Verizon router to the ONT, turned on the router and waited for it to connect, then turned on my computer, logged into the router to see if it had a new IP address. It did.  Logged into Verizon and went to the Verizon Speed Test (https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/) and could see right away that I was probably connected with 75/75 as the meter showed up with a scale going to 150.  Ran the test and both download and upload were well into the 75/75 range.  Turned the wireless radios on the router back on and connected the rest of my network devices.  All is running just fine.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Changing speed for anything less than 100mb will happen transparently.   Essentially they "turn the knob" in the central office any things just start going faster/slower depending on which way you changed your service provisioning.   No additional work is needed.

0 Likes