802.11n compliant router and Gigabit LAN
dialtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

First off, hello to the community. After years of waiting for Fios in my area of New York City, I'm on line with Fios as of 3/27/10. Thank you Verizon.

So far we are loving the service. My wife can now enjoy true 1080i HD TV while I'm the PC//multimedia nut.

I am a bit surprised that the standard Verizon Modem/Router included with Fios internet is such old technology. With the ability now and only growing in the future for streaming HD content, why doesn't Verizon install 802.11n and gigabit LAN equipment? I was shocked when I saw the Ethernet ports on the Verizon router were just 10/100. Come on Verizon, what's up with this?

Although not perfect due to the limitations of the Verizon router, I have set up my home network with a D-Link DIR-655 allowing for 802.11n wireless and gigabit LAN. Moving HD content off of a NAS drive to the entertainment center just does not work with 802.11g wireless. This set up has been stable and trouble free for the first week. No problems streaming HD content to my wireless laptop or wired gigabit to our entertainment center.

0 Likes
Re: 802.11n compliant router and Gigabit LAN
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@dialtech wrote:

First off, hello to the community. After years of waiting for Fios in my area of New York City, I'm on line with Fios as of 3/27/10. Thank you Verizon.

So far we are loving the service. My wife can now enjoy true 1080i HD TV while I'm the PC//multimedia nut.

I am a bit surprised that the standard Verizon Modem/Router included with Fios internet is such old technology. With the ability now and only growing in the future for streaming HD content, why doesn't Verizon install 802.11n and gigabit LAN equipment? I was shocked when I saw the Ethernet ports on the Verizon router were just 10/100. Come on Verizon, what's up with this?

Although not perfect due to the limitations of the Verizon router, I have set up my home network with a D-Link DIR-655 allowing for 802.11n wireless and gigabit LAN. Moving HD content off of a NAS drive to the entertainment center just does not work with 802.11g wireless. This set up has been stable and trouble free for the first week. No problems streaming HD content to my wireless laptop or wired gigabit to our entertainment center.

Well the reason for the 10/100 is that the fastest internet currently provided by Verizon is 50Mb. The Internet therefore is the choke point. The 10/100 is already twice as fast as the fastest internet speed and since they do not support internal networking, there is no need in spending money on the upgraded equipment. That is left to the customer, use whatever you want for your internals, and the G router they provide is just the link to the internet. (Which is what you've done). This allows you to use your internals to their full ability, and the verizon router is then simply a modem for outside access (which is faster than the internet anyway)

dialtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. I clearly understand the bandwith. I was just pointing out that for others just starting out if Verizon  supplied a 802.11n compliant router, customers would not have to purchase extra hardware to increase thier internal wireless bandwith. Also, the general user may not understand how to set up the way I have with a router behind a router.Smiley Happy

Fortuna
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the post.  The set up you describe is exactly what I would like to do, but I ran into issues and reverted back to the original setup for now until I get more info.  Do you mind if I ask a few questions:

1.  Did you plug the secondary router's Internet port to the LAN port on the Verizon router?

2.  Did you make any changes to the DHCP server settings on either router?

3.  Did you make any changes to the IP addresses or address ranges on either router?

Sorry for the detailed questions but these seemed to be an issue when I attempted to set up my secondary router. I appreciate your help!!!!!

Thanks!

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Fortuna wrote:

Thanks for the post.  The set up you describe is exactly what I would like to do, but I ran into issues and reverted back to the original setup for now until I get more info.  Do you mind if I ask a few questions:

1.  Did you plug the secondary router's Internet port to the LAN port on the Verizon router?

2.  Did you make any changes to the DHCP server settings on either router?

3.  Did you make any changes to the IP addresses or address ranges on either router?

Sorry for the detailed questions but these seemed to be an issue when I attempted to set up my secondary router. I appreciate your help!!!!!

Thanks!

1.  Yes, it goes from the LAN on the Verizon router to the WAN/Internet on the second router

2 and 3.  Depends on what brand you 2nd router is.  The Verizon router is on network 192.168.1.1  If your second router is on this same network then yes you need to reconfigure the 2nd router. (not hard) If it is already on a second network, then no, no change is needed.  For example. If your second router is a D-Link, its network is 192.168.0.1 So it would not need any other configurations to work.

lml999
Enthusiast - Level 2

Install a 10/100 hub upstream of your router, then install a second router off the hub. Use the AT router just for VOD and other vido control, your second router for all other Internet access. The two routers both hang off the hub, that way you don't have any performance loss due to the multiple routers previously suggested.

Verizon techs say that this will not work. It does. 🙂

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lml999 wrote:

Install a 10/100 hub upstream of your router, then install a second router off the hub. Use the AT router just for VOD and other vido control, your second router for all other Internet access. The two routers both hang off the hub, that way you don't have any performance loss due to the multiple routers previously suggested.

Verizon techs say that this will not work. It does. 🙂

I can see why VZ says this will not work and if it does I have to believe it's a violation of TOS

Both the routers must be getting dhcp addresses from the VZ system?

dienel
Enthusiast - Level 1

This may  be true from a FIOS-centric viewpoint, but if you have media servers, file servers, and real-time video going through your network, you may well exceed the home network throughput capacity.

The solution is to get a 1 GB switch, hook that to one of the ports of the supplied router, and have all of your devices that will require that kind of bandwidth connected to that. The FIOS router will still provide the core services (DNS, DHCP), and wireless b/g. The connection to the WAN will still be limited to the max bandwidth given to you by your plan, but your internal communications will not be throttled by the 'antique' router that FIOS provides. For most users, 100 MB is more than enought bandwidth.

If you want to give your wireless devices the speed, range and bandwidth of wireless-N, you can either buy an N access point, or a cheap wireless-N router. Most of the home routers are configurable into switch mode, and will add the devices connected to them to the default subnet (192.168.1.X).