9100EM Drops Connection and Needs Restart
Canuckian

Periodically, almost once a day, I will lose Internet connectivity.

I have to turn the 9100EM router off and then back on to get a connection again.  This affects both wireless and wired connections.

My phone is VoIP so this is not acceptable at all.

Anyone else experience this?

0 Likes
Re: 9100EM Drops Connection and Needs Restart
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
I have to wonder if this is because the router has a small NAT table.

Points to

a) http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

b) http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I never loose my connection. Had FIOS since 2005.

You can try to reset the router to factory default. It could have something wrong in the router and this may fix it. Try that and if it does not fix it call tech support and ask for a replacement router. The tech is of course going to want you to reset the router, so if you can tell them it has already been tried it may speed the process. The tech is going to want to run some diagnostics of course. I know how ever painfull you will need to go through the process.

Canuckian
Thanks but, if you take note of the post, I do not have the ActionTec router.  I have the Westell 9100EM so your two links are not appropriate in terms of helping with the problem.
0 Likes
Canuckian

I have reset it to factory defaults however, I need wireless security so that is essentially the only change made to the router with the exception of a couple of UPnP settings.

I'll be giving them a call I guess to either replace the router or diagnose the issue.

0 Likes
9100EM problems with connecting to home network
ElizabethSl
Enthusiast - Level 3
This post moved to FiOS Internet as its own topic under: 9100EM problems with connecting to home network
0 Likes
jenkinsm
I have the exact same problem, and I have not been able to find any help. I did not have this problem until I enabled WPA security so that I could connect my Airport Express to my network (for printer sharing). Do you have WPA security on your router? I'm wondering if that somehow is causing this problem (even though it shouldn't). If you find a solution please post it, thanks.
0 Likes
Canuckian

Yes, I am using WPA/WPA2.

WEP is too weak for encryption and I don't want to use that.

I also notice that when I lose my connection, the "Internet" light on the router is solid, whereas with a connection, there is blinking indicating activity.

I also notice that I cannot even log into the router's Web interface to see if there are issues, so basically, the router is completely unresponsive from a network connectivity perspective.

The last 3 days have been ok.  Typically it's been every day but for the past 3 days, I have not lost the connection and I have not changed anything on the router interface.

Gerry

0 Likes