Re: 9100EM Periodic loss of Internet
Mikhail
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't like this line in the system log:

Dec 31 18:00:23 2002 System Log Message daemon.info dhcp_detect: DHCP server detected on dev eth1

There should not be a DHCP server on eth1. It could explain a lot of disconnects.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rizca wrote:

Router hung up again this evening.  First, I lost all wireless connectivity and few minutes later wired as well. 

Couldnt connect to the router and had to do a power cycle.

After restart, went to look at syslog. I cant tell if it saved anything from before the cold boot.

Here are the snippets from the log. I have edited out the parts in between for brevity but can post the whole thing if required.

Any thoughts on what is causing this.  Will appreciate any insights on this issue. 

Thanks!

If you go into router admin  My Network, what status does it show for Broadband Connection (ethernet)?

Do you have something plugged into the Westell ethernet WAN port?

0 Likes
Computersteve42
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a way bigger issue. Of course i have the ethernet wire from the ONT plugged into the ethernet wan port on the router. I also tried disabling the auto protocol to pick the correct connection either ethernet wan or coax wan. The issue is not the connection its how the firmware deals with the connection. The router frequently looses connect due to issues with firmware coding there is even errors in the log that suggest bad programming example - - Dec 31 16:00:07 rtcy.rtcy.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net 2002 rtcy cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness. It is disgraceful that both routers verizon tells customers that they have to use or they are not supported and don't get certain features, don’t work right. Honestly if i was cablevision i would use this problem with the equipment Verizon forces you to use as a marketing technique to get customers back from Fios. Oh and Verizons staff should really visit dslreports.com and put in the search for Actiontec nat and Westell firmware issues. Even DD-WRT an alternative firmware writer notes the bad coding of the Westell firmware and Actiontec firmware. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Computersteve42 wrote:

This is a way bigger issue. Of course i have the ethernet wire from the ONT plugged into the ethernet wan port on the router. I also tried disabling the auto protocol to pick the correct connection either ethernet wan or coax wan.

I DON'T have the ethernet connection from the ONT connected to the WAN port of the router so I'm not sure I see why you say of course you do.  The normal mode of operation is coax (MOCA) and the ethernet  port is not needed and the and typically disabledat the ONT.

Did you request VZ to enable it? 

Did you try running without the ethernet connection - the norm is to use MOCA and you appear to be saying that you have both ports connected.  If both ports are enabled this may be giving you 2 ip addresses at the router interface - that would explain the dhcp server found on eth1 on your syslog.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Computersteve42 wrote:

The thing that really gets me upset is that Verizon expects us to stay on these routers or we loose functionality such as remote dvr and caller id on TV.

Yes you can, get it working. I point to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Quick quote from there...

Verizon does not officially support remote (web) access to the DVR or on-screen caller-id with a non-VZ router as primary. See the following threads for details:
0 Likes
Computersteve42
Enthusiast - Level 3

These issues don't help my issue. My issue is why dont they fix the hardware they provide. I know theres alternate configurations i tried them. 

0 Likes
Zogg
Enthusiast - Level 2

As part of my debugging process I disabled the wireless network and went back to my old trusty Linksys WRT54G. Since doing that 5 days ago I've had no lockups or problems of any kind. I'm not ready to declare victory yet but so far so good.

The Westell wireless interface works very well and I wish I could just use it, but I can live with this solution. Shouldn't have to though.

0 Likes
Computersteve42
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very true. I hope verizon gets there act together and fixes these buggy firmwares. It's not like we pay them a little money. 

Computersteve42
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have recently contacted on twitter "FiosTV" I told him about all the issues with the equipment that verizon provides. He responded by saying someone in the internet team would contact me. They did contact me and alerted me that and i quote from the email " I am ill equipped to help you out here.  If you want to discuss the finer points of macroblocking, transport stream buffering tactics, search algorithms or jitter... then I am your guy. I have asked that the Internet team contact you directly. Thanks, JA." . 

I am now just waiting for someone to contact me. I am really starting to loose faith in this issue being fixed. Coming from being a fios subscriber with the dlink and nim it gets me upset that problems that existed back then still exist. Hopefully this person will keep his word and let the internet team directly contact me. I don't know guys but i will keep you posted. 

0 Likes
9100EM Periodic loss of Internet*Trying to figure out how to use your own router with a NIM adapter*
Computersteve42
Enthusiast - Level 3

After some experimenting i have hopefully figured out how to get both Caller Id on tv and Remote dvr to work using these TCP port forwards to static ip's for your dvrs and set top boxes using a nim. In your router go to port forwarding and forward ports 35001 - 35009 use as many as needed for the amount of set top boxes you have. I was also informed by a tier 2 tech support person that in order for the set top box to always start listener 2 which is the TCP listener you need to spoof you wan mac address of you unsupported non verizon router to that of a dlink. Because dlink was verizons original setup and when there system sees a dlink router it knows to assign the TCP listener which is listener 2. I tried to get UDP to work using 63145 udp port. It just doesn't work. If you use this method you loose verizon's support. Oh and if your box is stuck on Listener 1 call verizon and ask to speak or request that they switch it to listener 2. I would do this before you switch the router it makes it much easier.