A Compliment to FiOS Tech Support
KenSW
Enthusiast - Level 2

This past Wednesday night my 50 Mbps download speed dropped to 1 Mbps while the 20 Mbps upload speed didn't change, test pings were about 8 ms. Hmmmm.

Called tech support Thursday night, he went through the usual dignostics, re-set the modem, re-set the ONT, had the ONT re-routed, but didn't fix it. Very nice support person following level one tech routine. Tech needs to come to the house - appointment for the the next morning - pretty good.

Tech arrives 9AM, another nice person, but pretty much a wire guy and not particularly network knowledgeable. He started doing the usual routine of changing connectors, etc., and I nicely stopped him and requested that he call a network person. I said, "you will spend hours running new cable, changing connectors, and more, but there's no LOGIC that bad connections would only affect downloads." He agreed and the call was made.

Network support person remotely changes my coax connection to an ethernet connection so a PC can be plugged in outside to test the speed in front of the modem. Guess what? It was slow there too. This is like plugging your POTS phone into the demarcation jack outside to see if a dial tone issue is the wiring inside the home. Pretty good.

Problem solved. There is a "pod" (not sure if I have that right) that serves 32 customers in an area and it had a problem. All 32 customers would have the same problem I did. Pod was fixed, speed tested outside was fine, tech showed me the test, we went inside and tested on my PC and all was good. Total fix-it time was about four hours.

That said, all the while the tech was extremely nice, apologized often for taking so long to resolve the problem, and seemed to really care that I was satisified as a customer. Personally, I think he learned something that day about diagnosing a problem.

The positive stuff never makes it to a post - so here it is.

Re: A Compliment to FiOS Tech Support
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for posting up some positive feedback! Everyone who regulars this place knows we could use some more of it, so you helped us out in that aspect. Enjoy FiOS!