A piece of advice
Meggiejj
Enthusiast - Level 2

DON'T renew or get the higher speed of internet. I just ran out of my bundle yesterday which was 25/25 and was getting acceptable speed although not what I was paying for or what Verizon advertised. I sweated it out with them for 2 years. Renewed and today I got the 25/50 and am only getting 13 both on upload and downloads. Called Verizon and nothing so far can they do about it.

Please unless you want to become so fustrated and get a run around don't get this higher speed or deal with Verizon. They don't care if you leaVe or not. I have spoken to retention and they could care less. I have never seen such a debacle.

Now they say they are going to send a new modem. Since the modem was working fine yesterday before the switch there should be nothing wrong with the modem just Verizon and their selling point of how fast speed you will get. Keep in mind  you won't get it.

0 Likes
Re: A piece of advice
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you're being limited by Wireless G, which is true if you don't have an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. I or Rev. F router, and don't have a Wireless N radio in your computer. Hardwire a computer or two to your router (your router should have come included with one cable; otherwise they're $0.50 for a 6 foot cable online) and check the speed from a wired connection. You should find much better results if you've got 50Mbps/20Mbps.

I always tell everyone, don't rely on wireless as your sole means of connecting, especially with the disorganized mess Wireless N is, with the quality of radios you get installed in devices (I mean is a 3x3 dual band radio REALLY that much more expensive than a 1x1 2.4Ghz radio? I can buy them for practically the same price in bulk). If you pay for a Fiber connection to come to your home, you should also consider the fact that fiber in itself is a wired connection. Use Wireless only as you need to, and stick to using a reliable Wired connection. MoCa (Coaxial), Powerline, and running CAT5e/CAT6a cable (best, can't-go-wrong solution) are all solutions you can use to get Wired connections to your devices.

If you really do wish to stick with Wireless, consider getting an access point or a cheap router that is preferably Dual Band Wireless N, and is rated for 300Mbps+300Mbps or more. You can get these for cheaper than a Rev. I ActionTec router, and while they are a second device to have hanging off of the router, this gives you a ton of flexibility down the road.

0 Likes
Meggiejj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the advice. I finally moved the router and am getting 3 on one of the wireless computers which is down the hall. The other 2 are acceptable. This means my office computer which has no wireless card is useless. I am now getting upgraded speed.. Since it is wireless I don't expect to get what the advertised speed is.

Now to figure where to put the router so it won't show in the family room. On the floor it won't give out enough signal so is currently on top of a chair.

I will look into your suggestion.

0 Likes
ben321

try this - on your Verizon Router\Modem there is a reset button - press and hold it for about 10 seconds and let the Router rest itself. it takes about a minute then go back to your Computer and do a speed test.  This resolved my issue of slower then expected speeds

Ben

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good. Let us know what you find out. If you need some options for connecting your Desktop up to the router without a WIreless card, while moving the router to a more ideal location, definitely check into using MoCA networking, running a network cable (the cables are dirt cheap, along with the face plates on Monoprice), or using PowerLine networking. All three of those options are pretty inexpensive.

0 Likes