ASUS RT-N66U Router
HunterA

Can I use this router with Verizon FiOS? I've noticed that my Verizon router has a coax cable going in to it, and the ASUS router does not have this. Would this affect anything? Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Re: ASUS RT-N66U Router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can use any router you want with FiOS.  Verizon only provides support for their router.  If you have FiOS TV service, it is best to keep a Verizon router in the system as it provides guide data, VOD and other services to the set-tops that is difficult to duplicate with a non-Verizon router.  You can use both a Verizon and non-Verizon router.

The ONT to router WAN connection can be over coax (MoCA) or Ethernet.  Typical FiOS installations for speeds of 75Mbps or lower use MoCA WAN.  Verizon routers are the only widely available devices that will connect to the MoCA WAN.

Verizon support can switch the ONT between Ethernet and MoCA WAN connections.  It takes just a few minutes.

This FAQ details ways to setup a FiOS network with and without a Verizon router.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Enjoy.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The simplest way to utilize your N66U is to double NAT it behind your Actiontec.  Links on how to do this can be found on this site if you search.

Let the set top boxes connect to the Internet using the Actiontec while everything else connects to your N66U.

This is the setup I have and it works fine.  I did try eliminating the Actiontec from my network by having Verizon switch my OTN connection to Ethernet and then connected my ASUS directly to the OTN.   No difference in performance or network reliability.

FYI I have had the Actiontec for twenty months and it has always performed reliably as a router.   

My suggestion is leave it in your network with either the WiFi on or off so that if you have a network problem you can quickly plug an Ethernet cable into the Actiontec and trouble shoot problems.

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Many FiOS subscribers use a 3rd party device (e.g. Linksys WRT1900AC) as their "primary" router to provide Internet and Wireless service in their home and create a MoCA bridge to Verizon's router (e.g. Actiontec MI424WR) to provide support for VOD & Program Guide applications.

0 Likes