Access Point Steering
StuartN

I have the FIOS Extender but only beam steering indicates enabled.  Access point steering indicates that it is not enabled.  How do I enable access point steering?

0 Likes
Re: Access Point Steering
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
smyb123

@TomH309 wrote:

Believe this should clarify things for you.

https://helpcenter.engeniustech.com/hc/en-us/articles/235244467-How-does-Band-Steering-work-

That article only explains band steering, not access point steering or how to enable it on the G1100. I have 2 wireless AP's (G1100 and WCB6200Q) so I'm interested in the OP's question also. Anyone know how to enable it?

0 Likes
SeaBreezin

I've got the same question, I have the G1100 plus two MoCA extenders. I have band steering enabled and want to enable AP steering (which is showing "off").

0 Likes
bobby1313

Anyone? I bought 2 extenders and both are showing disconnected. This is the only thing it could be.

0 Likes
nsringari

I have this question also. If a Version Tech could step in that would be helpful. I have the Fios Quantum Gateway and the WCB6200Q setup in SON mode on different floors, but I want to enable AP steering so that devices transitioning from downstairs to upstairs seemlessly connect and disconnect. I'm not certain if this is happening currently.

0 Likes
JoeFlacco

I would also like to know why Access Point Steering Enabled is "NO".  I received an email from Verizon stating that it would specifically do that:

"This will allow your devices to move seamlessly between 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi signals, and between access points (router and extender)—ultimately optimizing your devices' Wi-Fi connection"

I then preceeded enabling the feature, reconfiguring all my devices just to find out that all you're actually getting is Band Steering and not Access Point Steering.  To say that I am frustrated would be an understatement.  We need clarity on the status of this.

0 Likes
SeaBreezin

Any update to this? I just got an email saying that the SON feature was just added, but upon checking again, Access Point Steering is still set to "No" with no option to enable it.

0 Likes
gson516
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem, after installing the Verizon network extender and enabling SON Access Point Steering is set to No. 

I can't tell if the devices closest to the extender are actually connecting to it.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Pings show a lot of jitter and packet loss so it doesn't look like I am connecting to the extender that is a foot away from my Mac.

Verizon tech support was clueless.  Looks like the extender is going back to Verizon.

0 Likes
cnervins
Enthusiast - Level 1

I may be wrong, but I believe the Access Point Steering is only available to a limited number of Verizon customers. The feature is rolling out slowly. An extender can still be used and devices will still roam between your Verizon router and extender, it just won't use the specific access point steering alghorithm that Verizon has implemented.