Re: Access file server remotely
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 One of the IP Address(es) in somewhere the router is the same as the IP Address on http://www.whatsmyip.org/ ?

#2 The FTP Sever is set to those port(s)?

If not., forward the ports that the NAS's FTP Server uses.

#3 And you can connect locally, to that NAS's FTP Server? If not, that is not good.

0 Likes
1stbscout
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have been having the same kind of issues described here.

Finally found an anwer.

My router is a westell a90-9100em but as far as I can tell not much different than the last one we had for verizon "same interface" or the one before that.

Instead of trying to set up the port forwarding directly go the Advanced page

Open protocols page.

Go to the bottom of the list and click on "New Entry"

In service name add the name of the service you are wanting to install

Same in service description

Click on New Server Ports

Add the ports you need just as you would in "Port Forwarding"

Close out and go back to the port forwarding screen

Add new entry

Select from the drop down list your newly added protocol.

Finish

I spent hours trying to figure this out. This is what finally worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Interesting.:)

Please consider marking as sovled..

0 Likes
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh man, I was so pumped to try that solution.  Unfortunately though it didn't fix it for me. Smiley Sad  I found where to add the new protocol and added it the same way as the port forwarding setup.  Then went in, deleted out the old port forwarding setup for the static IP and recreated it using the new protocol but no lock.  It still showing up as closed on Shields Up!.  Maybe it has something to do with mine being the Actiontec model instead of the Westell.  Thanks for trying though.  Hopefully your information will be helpful for someone else in trouble.

0 Likes
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 One of the IP Address(es) in somewhere the router is the same as the IP Address on http://www.whatsmyip.org/I'm assuming your asking if the IP address on whatsmyip matches the external address on the router.  If so then yes. 

#2 The FTP Sever is set to those port(s)?

If not., forward the ports that the NAS's FTP Server uses.  Yes all appear to be forwarded (requires 20,21, and 55536-55663)

#3 And you can connect locally, to that NAS's FTP Server? If not, that is not good.  Don't appear to have any problems internally.  I was able to use command line FTP to connect to the server and list out the directories available.

Thanks again for the all the assistance!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if your issue is because of a Small/Tiny NAT Table in that router?

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to close this out in case anyone stumbles across this thread while searching for a solution to a similar problem.  In the end, Actiontec and Verizon ended up replacing my modem.  I was sent the same brand and model number but it is listed as a MI424WR-GEN2, hardware version E. 

If anyone is curious what happened, initially Verizon gave me the direct support number for Actiontec to troubleshoot.  Actiontec basically walked me through the exact same steps I followed to set up port forwarding "correctly".  Once it still didn't work they said the next step was to reset the modem however they couldn't do that without authorization from Verizon.  Since i called them directly I would need to call Verizon support and have them initiate the call with Actiontec to do the reset.  After going back to Verizon and explaining the situation they conferenced in Actiontec to reset the router.  Initially the router wouldn't come back up and even after a few reboots it was completely unresponsive.  This basically forced them to send a new router regardless of whether port forwarding functioned but I was going to be without Internet until the new router shipped.  With that the call was ended and I received an email notification of the new router being shipped.  Luckily for me after resetting it a few more times i was able to get the old router working while waiting for the new one arrive.  Once the new one arrived I reconfiguring it to match the old one and sure enough setting up port forwarding was simple and worked on the first try.  So really all my problems were because of faulty equipment.  It took a while but at least in the end I was able to get everything set up the way I wanted it. 

0 Likes