Access file server remotely
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I'm having trouble trying to configure my MI424-WR (Rev D I think) with port forwarding and I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight.  I have a NAS unit that works perfectly from inside my LAN and would now like to access from the outside.  I have the ports that need to be forwarded & instructions on how to access it remotely from the maker and believe I have set it up properly on the router however it doesn't seem to work.  When I use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to test the ports it gives me the following: "Error: I could not see your service on xx.xxx.xxx.xx (the correct IP address of the device does appears here) on port (5000) Reason: Connection refused".  However I get this message on any port I try.

I tried called FiOS "Tech Support" and was told they don't provide support for something like this.  All they can tell me is how to get into the router.  Sounds like a load of kaka to me but to be honest the person on the other end of that call didn't sound the brightest crayon in the box.

If anyone has any ideas I really appreciate them.  I feel like I have set up the forwarding thing correctly so I'm not sure what to do next.  Is it that I cannot access my network remotely using FiOS?  I wasn't sure what other details to provide so if there is anything else that would help please let me know.  Thanks!

Erik

0 Likes
Re: Access file server remotely
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of this NAS Unit?

#2 In the router go to Advanced IP -> Address Distribution.

#3 What is the DHCP range?

#4 When forwarding, what IP Address did you try to forward to?

0 Likes
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2

#1 - It is a Synology DS209 unit running firmware DSM 2.2-0942

#2&3 - The DHCP range is set to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100

#4 - I'm trying to forward to IP address 192.168.1.250 which is the static IP set on the box.

Also when I run the Shields Up! test on the serivce ports it tells me these are all closed or stealth.

Thanks for your assitance on this!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Can you access the server inside your LAN?

As to why, quick qoute from

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1116587665

This will test whether the server is configured correctly.   If you can’t log in locally like this, no one from the Internet is going to be able to log in either.

#2 Port 5000, does not seem to be one of the default ports to forward. That seems to be the manager's port.

#3 In the Synology DS209, go to  Network Services -> Firewall.

#4 Are any rules enabled?

#5 In the Synology DS209, go to  Fire Sharing.

#6 In there, what is enabled? For example, FTP.

#7 In the Synology DS209, go to  Network Services -> Terminal.

#8 Is that enabled?

#9 In the Synology DS209, go to  Network Services -> Web Services.

#10 Is that enabled?

#11 In the Synology DS209, go to  Applications > Surveillance Stataion.

#12 Is that enabled?

0 Likes
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for following up.  The answers to your questions are in red below.
@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 Can you access the server inside your LAN? Yes using the static IP address or the server name.  It automatically defaults to port 5000 in the address as well.

#2 Port 5000, does not seem to be one of the default ports to forward. That seems to be the manager's port.  This could very well be true.  This interface for web based file sharing is the same one used to administer the box itself.

#3 In the Synology DS209, go to  Network Services -> Firewall.

#4 Are any rules enabled?  No there are no rules set up on the NAS box.

#5 In the Synology DS209, go to  Fire Sharing.

#6 In there, what is enabled? For example, FTP.  Windows file service, FTP and File Station 2 are all enabled services.  NFS protocol is NOT enabled.

#7 In the Synology DS209, go to  Network Services -> Terminal.

#8 Is that enabled?  Neither Telnet nor SSH are currently enabled.

#9 In the Synology DS209, go to  Network Services -> Web Services.

#10 Is that enabled? None of the options in the web services section are enabled.

#11 In the Synology DS209, go to  Applications > Surveillance Station.

#12 Is that enabled? Surveillance Station is NOT enabled.

Also, I called back Verizon FiOS support to try again.  This person couldn't help me either but redirected me to an Actiontec support number for FiOS customers.  Unfortunately the steps Actiontec support took me through were exactly the same as the ones I did that had no success.  I explained this to this support person and he said the next steps were to reset the router back to its original configuration.  In order to do this though Verizon Tech support had to initiate this and since they just passed me along he couldn't do this without consent from Verizon.  He told me to call Verizon back and explain what steps had been tried and that Actiontec recommended the router be reset.  He also said that if that did not work the only thing left was to get a new router from Verizon.  This just gets more interesting by the minute.

Thanks once again.

0 Likes
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Check you Windows Firewall and virus protection to make sure they are not blocking the ports.

0 Likes
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Windows firewall disabled and even with COMODO turned off no luck.

0 Likes
Napa21

Try LogMeIn its free

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know at this time how to change that port, but for testing reasons...

Try forwarding the FTP port(s). Usaully FTP uses 20 and 21. If they open according to grc.com sheild's up, we can try to find out why that/those other ports do/did not open.

^

0 Likes
iSpyder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Opened those ports, rebooted the router and ran the test.  Still lists those ports as closed.  Smiley Sad

0 Likes