Re: Access point or other solution?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Absolutely you can use the older MI424-WR as a MOCA extender.

Follow the instructions in the second part of the FAQ I linked earlier.

When using an Actiontec router as a MOCA extender, it's important to disable the WAN portion of the router, otherwise both routers will fight for control of the internet connection.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

My experiement just confirmed that Anti-Phish.  I never thought of using a second Actiontec without a MoCA adapter but it was easy and it worked.

Basically, the settings I changed:

1) My Network  > Network Connection > Network (Home/Office)  > Settings > IP Adress 192.182.1.2 and DNS Server = No DNS Server

2) Advanced > IP Address Distribution = Disabled

3) Wireless settings SSID set to a different one tha primary router and channel set to a different one than primary.

After making those changes I plugged the old (Rev E) Actiontec into a coax feed to the TV in our kitchen, booted up, and poof....I was online with the new SSID wifi network or by plugging a laptop into any of the Ethernet ports on the second router.

So the day isn't a total loss for me since I learned something new.

0 Likes
JimFed

Wow, thanks for this test. That is good news.

When you said your changed the settings before plugging it in, I assume that these are settings in the Rev E router?How did you make those setting changes before it was connected?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, those changes were on the second (Rev E) router.

I have my primary desktop PC configured with a static IP, thus I was able to connect it to the Rev E Actiontec with my primary (Rev I) router turned off.   It might be a little trickier if you use DNS for all your devices. 

In that case, I think you'd have to connect a PC to an Ethernet LAN port on the Rev E with it not connected to the Rev I.  Change the IP address on the Rev E, and then, once it restarts, reconnect to the primary network to make the rest of the changes.   You can't have both routers on the same IP address, 192.168.1.1, and if don't have a static address assigned to your PC you'll need a DHCP server to assign one.

One other detail in my setup that may help....on my primary Actiontec (Rev I) in My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Settings, I have IP Address Distribution Start IP Address set to 192.168.1.100 and End IP address to 192.168.1.254.

That allows adquate range for the router's DNS server to assign IP addresses but it also allows room for you to set devices, such as the Rev E, to a static address without a conflict.

0 Likes
JimFed

OK. I will see if I can get time to try it this weekend. I have to go out of town Monday but I will definitely let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok.  You might save your Rev I's config file as a backup you can restore in case the changes turn to mud.  Smiley Wink

Once again, good luck.

0 Likes
JimFed

Encountered a problem from the start. I connected my Rev E to my laptop but could not figure out how to access it to make setting changes. The router address comes up at 10.211.55.1.

I then made a connection from a LAN port of the Rev I to the WAN port of the Rev E and cycled power to both. The Rev E shows a WAN connection but no internet connection and still shows that strange IP address.

I can't figure out how to get to the Rev E to make the changes you instruct.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
I'm out of town for a few days and only have access to the web via my iPhone. Maybe one of the regulars on the board will chime in with more.

What I can tell you is that to access the setup panel for the Actionec you only use a LAN port. Using the rev E as a second device you won't use the WAN port at all.

The default address of the Actiontec is 192.168.1.1. That's what you'd enter in your browser to get to the router's setup.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JimFed wrote:

Encountered a problem from the start. I connected my Rev E to my laptop but could not figure out how to access it to make setting changes. The router address comes up at 10.211.55.1.

I then made a connection from a LAN port of the Rev I to the WAN port of the Rev E and cycled power to both. The Rev E shows a WAN connection but no internet connection and still shows that strange IP address.

I can't figure out how to get to the Rev E to make the changes you instruct.

Change the setting on the rev e before connecting it to the coax.

Connect a machine to a lan port on the rev e with nothing else connected.  The address should be 192.168.1.1 and whatever userid and password you set on it.

If you don't have those details then perform a factory reset and it should definetely be 192.168.1.1 and the user should be admin and you would get prompted for a new password of your choice.

0 Likes
JimFed

Tried installing the Rev E back in place of the Rev I as the primary router. It powered up but for some reason would not connect to the internet. I tried accessing the router and the admin password I used in the past does not work. Not make any progress on this today. 

0 Likes