Re: Access point or other solution?
JimFed

I reset the Rev E and was able to access the settings connected only to it. However, after I made the settings it said I will need to open a new router window for the new IP address and says "wait until setting are applied". It never can back and said changes were applied and I saw no change on the Rev E lights. I waited for a while and tried to access 192.168.1.1 and 192.182.1.2 but could not access either.

I did another factory reset and tried all of that again, but got the same results.

0 Likes
JimFed

I tried just making the IP address change on the Rev E, but it gives me an error that the IP cannot be in the range of the IP pool. I am not sure how 192.182.1.2 is in he IP pool of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255. 

0 Likes
JimFed

I tried to connect the Rev E to the house coax. It comes up with a coax conneciton light but not an Internet connection light. I can't tell if the changes I made to the Rev E actually took since I cannot access it when connected directly to my laptop either as 192.168.1.1 or 192.182.1.2.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JimFed wrote:

I tried to connect the Rev E to the house coax. It comes up with a coax conneciton light but not an Internet connection light. I can't tell if the changes I made to the Rev E actually took since I cannot access it when connected directly to my laptop either as 192.168.1.1 or 192.182.1.2.

I see eljfe said 192.182.1.2   Not sure what he meant by that but I would guess he meant to say 192.168.1.2

When you set up the rev e router you want it to be on the same subnet as the rev i router i.e. 192.168.1

When you connect directly to the router (when not connected to coax) and change the ip address it will not re-display when you click ok because your browser is pointing toi the old ip address.  Enter the new address 192.168.1.2 and you will connect..  Make sure the dhcp server is turned off on the rev e router.  make sure that ip address 192.168.1.2 is not in the dhcp pool on the rev i router.

As anti-phish said earlier do what it says in step (2) at this link

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

and it will work fine

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
I made an error earlier in typing 192.186.1.2. It should have been 192.168.1.2.

As had been pointed out, all devices on any LAN must be on the same subset.

Sorry for any confusion.
0 Likes
JimFed

I am traveling this week and won't be able to try this again until next weekend. But I want to make sure I have the steps correct.

I am a little confused as to what changes need to be made in what order and with what connected to what.

Let me try my interpretation from reading all of the advice so far and then you can correct me as needed:

- Change the IP pool on the Rev I to start at 192.168.1.3. Set tyo a specific wireless channel (say 11).

- Rev E changes - with a laptop connected to a LAN port:

• Perform a hard reset on the Rev E to restore factory defaults.
  • Change the Rev E's LAN IP LAN address to 192.168.1.2.
  • Disable the Rev E's coax WAN connection to prevent it from attempting to become the primary router. 
  • Disable the Rev E's DHCP server:
  • Leave the Rev E's wireless, set the SSID to the same as the Rev I's, and set it to use a different channel (say 1).

- Connect the Rev E to coax in the family room and I should have Coax and Internet green lights and a WiFi signal. Do I need a special splitter for this? The anti-phis mentions a 1Ghz 1x2 splitter).

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JimFed wrote:

I am traveling this week and won't be able to try this again until next weekend. But I want to make sure I have the steps correct.

I am a little confused as to what changes need to be made in what order and with what connected to what.

Let me try my interpretation from reading all of the advice so far and then you can correct me as needed:

- Change the IP pool on the Rev I to start at 192.168.1.3. Set tyo a specific wireless channel (say 11).

- Rev E changes - with a laptop connected to a LAN port:

• Perform a hard reset on the Rev E to restore factory defaults.
  • Change the Rev E's LAN IP LAN address to 192.168.1.2.
  • Disable the Rev E's coax WAN connection to prevent it from attempting to become the primary router. 
  • Disable the Rev E's DHCP server:
  • Leave the Rev E's wireless, set the SSID to the same as the Rev I's, and set it to use a different channel (say 1).

- Connect the Rev E to coax in the family room and I should have Coax and Internet green lights and a WiFi signal. Do I need a special splitter for this? The anti-phis mentions a 1Ghz 1x2 splitter).

According to smith6612 "You'll just need a MoCA rated splitter for the single coaxial line. The splitter must be a bi-directional splitter which operates at 5-1000MHZ."

Don't know why you'd set the ssid of the 2 routers to be the same but I guess it would work.  I've always made them different so that I know where I connected to, just means that I would have had to add 2 sets of credentials to the connecting devices.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

Don't know why you'd set the ssid of the 2 routers to be the same but I guess it would work.  I've always made them different so that I know where I connected to, just means that I would have had to add 2 sets of credentials to the connecting devices.

My sentiments exactly.  I simply have one SSID set to "mywifi" and the other to "mywifi2."

0 Likes
JimFed

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have implemented this solution and it worked great for me. My original goal was to get a better WiFi signal in my family room and other parts of my house and the addition of the 2nd wireless router did just that. The additional benefit was that this also resulted in Ethernet connections for my TV, BluRay, and Apple TV, replacing their WiFi connections and thus increasing their connection speed and quality.

I want to express my thanks to all of the contributors on this forum and eljefe in particular for taking the time to perform a test of an idea. I was headed in another direction that would have cost more. All of you guys do a great job on these forums. Keep up the good work.

0 Likes
JimFed

So I still may be having a problem. I noticed that after a few hours, my wireless devices show a connection to the Rev E but I cannot access the Internet. When I change the connection to the Rev I, everything works fine. When I try to reconnect to the Rev E, it refuses to accept the wireless password. I checked the Rev I network status though my laptop. It showed devices connected to teh Rev E but when I did a connectivity test to the Rev E or any divices connected to it, the tests failed. I power cycled the Rev E and all my devices connected to it and the connectivity tests work fine. 

I noticed that the Rev E has all notmal lights except no Internet or WAN coax lights, which may be correct given its setup? I have not had an opportunity to check whether a similar problem exists with its Ethernet connections but I would assume so since I cannot complete a connectivity test from the Rev I to the Rev E.

Any idea what is causing the Rev E to 

0 Likes