Accessing files on another router (Linksys)
Ianhoss
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have  Linksys tri-band wireless router and have a video external drive and data external drive attached to it. I am able to access each as long as I am connected to the Linksys wifi IP. The Linksys ion another floor but is hard wired to the Fios router. 

Does any one know of a way to access the two drives while on the fios wifi. Was told that a bridge setup might work but that would take way my Internet on the at least one of the routers. Not liking that option if it is true. Any help would be great.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Accessing files on another router (Linksys)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you have both devices setup as a router which means you have different subnets. Do you need to have the FiOS wifi and Linksys wifi both on for wifi coverage? If not log into FiOS router and turn off the wifi. 

Next Google setting up your Linksys router in AP mode. When you do this your FiOS router will be the DHCP server. Everything will be in the same IP range. Reboot your devices so they all get IP's in the range of 192.168.1.X from the FiOS router.

If you do need FiOS router wifi turned on for better coverage. Make it and the Linksys SSID/WPA2 the same so your wifi credentials are the same throughout the house. Also make sure the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios are on non overlapping channels in both devices.

View solution in original post

Re: Accessing files on another router (Linksys)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you have both devices setup as a router which means you have different subnets. Do you need to have the FiOS wifi and Linksys wifi both on for wifi coverage? If not log into FiOS router and turn off the wifi. 

Next Google setting up your Linksys router in AP mode. When you do this your FiOS router will be the DHCP server. Everything will be in the same IP range. Reboot your devices so they all get IP's in the range of 192.168.1.X from the FiOS router.

If you do need FiOS router wifi turned on for better coverage. Make it and the Linksys SSID/WPA2 the same so your wifi credentials are the same throughout the house. Also make sure the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios are on non overlapping channels in both devices.