Re: ActionTec MI424-WR Router Issue
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Verizon doesn't use NIMs anymore. The only to get one would be an online auction site or classified.
0 Likes
zdenneh
I don't have any other coax points in my house so it wouldn't work for me anyway. The Directv box plugs into something that looks like a coax but i don't think it's exactly coax and even if it was I don't think it's in any way connected to the coax that verizon installed that runs into my router.
0 Likes
mrags2000
Enthusiast - Level 3
Best way to go is piggy back another router off actiontec and disable wireless in actiontec. That's what I did and I went from not even seeing the router in my basement to 4 bar signal strength!!!  A lot of people love to complain about the router but you did get it for free.
0 Likes
zdenneh

@mrags2000 wrote:
Best way to go is piggy back another router off actiontec and disable wireless in actiontec. That's what I did and I went from not even seeing the router in my basement to 4 bar signal strength!!!  A lot of people love to complain about the router but you did get it for free.

I don't think my problem with the Actiontec has anything to do with a weak signal. It drops all wireless connections 2 or 3 times a day and it doesn't matter if my laptop is sitting directly next to the router. It generally shows 95-100% wireless signal on the ps3 and 4 bars on the laptop. I guess I just need to go out and buy a new router and try it out. I'm just so tired of this Actiontec dropping the wireless connections and requiring a reboot. It's literally every single day. I'm just hoping the new firmware supposedly coming out on the 31st may actually fix the Actiontec. I might as well wait a couple more weeks for that before going out and buying a more capable router.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Zdenneh are any of your wireless computers Macs?
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Zdenneh , Have you tried calling our customer support?  It could be the actiontec if your loosing connections to both laptop and ps3 at the same time.  Have you tried hitting the reset on the back of the router to set the router back to it's default values?
0 Likes
zdenneh

@Telcoguru wrote:
Zdenneh are any of your wireless computers Macs?
No. I just have the ps3 and a Dell laptop. The Dell laptop actually busted a couple of weeks ago and I'm still having the drops so it has nothing to do with the configuration of Windows XP.
Message Edited by zdenneh on 01-15-2009 11:39 AM
0 Likes
zdenneh

@Provider7 wrote:
Zdenneh , Have you tried calling our customer support?  It could be the actiontec if your loosing connections to both laptop and ps3 at the same time.  Have you tried hitting the reset on the back of the router to set the router back to it's default values?
I've spoken to customer support at least 5 or 6 times. Basically, they have told me that I've tried everything they recommend and unfortunately there is nothing they can do because they can only guarantee a wired connection. I've reset the router, tried every channel, lowered the beacon interval interval to 50, set the firewall to minimum security, turned broadcast ssid off - nothing works.
Message Edited by zdenneh on 01-15-2009 11:59 AM
0 Likes
red2001tj

Just an FYI, I have been using bridging to get around the small NAT table for over a year. Worked wonderfully until the remote DVR feature was released. I was unable to activate the remote DVR service with the second router in place. After ~3hrs on the phone with verizon techs, we were able to get remote DVR working by returning everything back to the standard Veriozon setup, so now I have the small NAT table problem again. Since Remote DVR is now activiated, I'm going to attempt to put the second router back in place and see if remote DVR continues to work. In any case, I will have to go back to the other router because the small NAT table is unacceptable.

Here's the thread in the TV forum: link

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Check out this post, it has some good links for bridging your router.  CLICK HERE
0 Likes